Newbie question about wood fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billfred

Burning Hunk
Jul 28, 2015
indy
I'm moving into a 3000 sq. ft. home (2 story over crawl) that currently has a Heat n Glo wood fireplace. It's got the tube heat exchangers and blower. It's got glass doors.

I realize this isn't a full blown wood insert, however, is it even efficient to use this at all for heating?

I might consider an insert down the road. I've got 10 wooded acres. The fireplace is in the main living area.

Thanks for the advice.

Bill
(Indiana)

What you have is a zero clearance fireplace. You'll have to work with what you got, you can't put an insert in it.
It should be fairly efficient, it's age would determine its efficiency. I'd try it out for sure, they make a respectable product. If it's not doing what you want, can you put a freestanding stove in another location?

Reactions: bholler
OK. Thanks. The unit is probably about 15 years old. So I'm guessing when you use these you keep the glass doors closed?

OK. Thanks. The unit is probably about 15 years old. So I'm guessing when you use these you keep the glass doors closed?
Yes- you rely on the exchanger tubes to add heat to the room - leaving the doors open will send everything up the flue and likely cause the conventional furnace to kick in.

Status
Not open for further replies.