Newbie Question-Breckwell SP6000 Heat Exchange Tubes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wrm14

Dec 1, 2011
WI
First post to the forum... I've been reading and leaning a lot so far. Just got my Breckwell SP6000 and after reading through the manual multiple times I have yet to figure out how to exactly clean the heat exchange tubes. I called Breckwell and they told me to run a soft brush down the inside of the tubes in front where the heat gets blown out. Correct me if I am wrong but there really wouldn't be any buildup on the inside of these tubes would there be? I was under the impression that cleaning the heat exchange tubes was clearing any buildup of creosote on the outside of those tubes. I am confused.

There really should be any creosote either. Just slight fly ash. I think they mean inside the stove housing not inside the tubes themselves. There should only be light house dust inside the tubes.

Best way to clean the tubes of the ash deposits is with a brush on the ash vacuum cleaner. Or at least hold the vac nozzle in the general area while you using the brush breckwell recommended. Makes less mess that way.

Well that does make much more sense. I will add that to my cleaning regimen. Thanks for the reply!

No problem and welcome to the fun! Glad you joined our little group.

Do you burn mostly pellets or corn?

Pellets so far. Have not found a vendor for corn as of yet. Haven't really looked to hard either. I installed the unit myself and have learned many things along the way mostly thanks to the forum. Have you burned corn?

Yes, I just had to. At the time it was cheaper than pellets. No so today! So pellets are the main coarse.

So you like to burn pellets better than corn? What are the advantages in your opinion?

I installed myself. I bought my stove off the net. I actually liked burning the corn for a couple of reasons. First was its a seasonal crop. Second was I was supporting a local farmer. But once the price went out of site. I can't see burning it. Pellets are cheaper overall and to me they burn cleaner. I can burn a lot more pellets than corn before I need to clean and empty the ash pan. Plus there are a lot more choices and places to purchase pellets. I only have 2 places to get corn.

We have other options like cherry pits, grains and grass pellets. But all seem to burn dirtier than wood pellets. But still is an option if pellets become scarce or too pricey. Grass pellets are the cheapiest right now. But because they require more work with cleaning more, It's probably a wash. Plus pellets burn hotter.

Try some different fuels, Its actually fun to find them and burn them. Also do a search on here, You see a thread on the grass pellets imacman started. We had a blast doing the tests and traveling to see the pellets made.

Wow I can see how this can get addictive. I will check out alternative fuels. Seems like a lot of fun. Do you know much about venting? I originally decided on direct venting my stove but now I think that I would like to do the out and up because I am to close to windows. The only room that my stove would fit in is my office on my first floor. The problem with that is that it is nearly all windows. This was the reason that I wanted to direct vent so I wouldn't have some crazy configuration of pipe off the back of my house. Now after reading code my vent does not exaust the proper distance from the window so I have to go out and up to vent one foot above the windows. After calculating the run the evl will require 4in pipe. Is it ok to go 3in out the wall and then 4in conversion to the cleanout tee and 4in from there? Or do you have to come straight off the stove with 4in?

Sure you can use the 3" out then use the 3 to 4 inch adapter tee and go up. I have done this a few times for others. Works great. ;-)

Wow thanks so much. I wish I would have joined and asked questions sooner. I appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.