Newbie question - is this a lemon of a stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sacrifice_Pawn

Feb 5, 2014
New England
Hello all,

Recently bought a house: square, two story, 1300 sqft, with centrally placed chimney and fireplace. The seller had a wood stove installed in the fireplace, but did not have a chimney liner. When he moved out, he took the stove out, and left it in the garage (He's supposed to come pick it up, but offered to sell it to me).

I was always planning to have a wood stove to supplement the oil boiler, but I wanted to do it properly with a chimney liner installed. So now I have a choice of buying a new stove or buying this used one. The new one I want is a Jotul 602 or something similar, and this used one happens to be an early model 602 (I'm guessing from the 80's). However, I'm a little concerned about it's condition: the side plates appear to be slightly warped out as well as the back plate; there is a crack on the outside on the back plate; the inner plates holding the baffle up are missing, as well as the burner plate (but the seller may have that); there is cosmetic work to be done as well (rust, chipped enamel). Here are some pictures.

So, is this a lemon of a stove?

Should I get a new Jotul 602? or is there something similar?

Attachments

• jotul602 (1).jpg
    jotul602 (1).jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 533
  • jotul602 (2).jpg
    jotul602 (2).jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 344
  • jotul602 (3).jpg
    jotul602 (3).jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 334
  • jotul602 (5).jpg
    jotul602 (5).jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 278
  • jotul602 (7).jpg
    jotul602 (7).jpg
    233 KB · Views: 270
I like the 602 but wouldn't pay a cent for that stove. It has been abused to the point of making it worthless. Keep looking on craigslist or get a new stove. In used, look for smaller Morso, Jotul, Upland, and Lange stoves.

Hello all,

Recently bought a house: square, two story, 1300 sqft, with centrally placed chimney and fireplace. The seller had a wood stove installed in the fireplace, but did not have a chimney liner. When he moved out, he took the stove out, and left it in the garage (He's supposed to come pick it up, but offered to sell it to me). ...

I think I would offer to start charging him a storage fee.

But as begreen says, looks like that one has been rode hard and put up wet many times. You'd be much better off with any of the models he mentioned, a good used stove off c'list or a small new stove.

If you are thinking new look at the Morso 2B also.

Check with you local dealers, they may have some units they are going to sell at the end of the season (soon) so they can put in next year's stoves. Also, they often fix and sell the trade-ins at the end of the season.

That stove you have is not good for indoors, you could put it on the patio for an outdoor burner but it is not a safe indoor stove, nor could it be repaired cost effectively. Scrap it for 3 cents a pound.

Status
Not open for further replies.