Newbie question on air flow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wmk1956

Oct 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
Just started using my Jotul Winterport the heat from it is amazing.

My question is how to get some of the heat in to other areas of the home.

I have a spit level with the insert in the bottom floor den area, then up one set of stairs in the living room/kitchen, then up to the bed room area. I am hoping to get some of that heat to rise to the top level.

Before I start cutting register openings in to the den ceiling would a small floor fan pointed up the stair way help to move the warm air upstairs? Or should I have the fan push cooler air down to the den?

Thanks for the help.

$10 gets you a box fan and an extension cord. have at it :) i'd reckon your best bet is a fan blowing down - toward the stove - from the mid-level entry way.

set up a natural convection loop by blowing cold air low at the stove. physics does the rest.

good luck!

I wouldn't try to assist the natural convection going on in your stairwell. Remember that convection happens when you have a disparity in temperatures between floor and ceiling. When you put a fan in there, you could mix the air together and actually reduce the heat transfer, but I could be wrong. It never hurts to experiment!

Registers in the floor work really well, but you should consult with your local fire department since the registers tend to accelerate things in the case of a fire. There are registers that close automatically under such conditions, so that's what you need to look for.

You probably don't need to cut any holes. Just a fan pointed DOWN the stairs will be all you need. It works great!

I'm with Wendell and Ed . . . try pointing a fan down the stairs and get the air moving . . . but try it the other way around as well . . . and see if the first or second attempt works better. I would try using a cheap fan before I start cutting holes in my floor and as CF said with a split level you're going to have some natural convection anyways . . . I think having a fan pointed low pushing the air towards the stove might be your best bet . . . but try experimenting to see if you can't assist in the natural convection even more.

Thank you all for the replies and info. Tried both ways and by far pushing air down to the den (where insert is) from the mid level helped the most in two ways. First help to cool down the room and made it a bit more comfortable. And it did increase the upward movement of hot air to other area. You can see a marked difference when you hold a candle and watch the air movement in the stair way.

Thanks again.

Wmk1956 said:
Thank you all for the replies and info. Tried both ways and by far pushing air down to the den (where insert is) from the mid level helped the most in two ways. First help to cool down the room and made it a bit more comfortable. And it did increase the upward movement of hot air to other area. You can see a marked difference when you hold a candle and watch the air movement in the stair way.

Thanks again.

Well hold on there Mister . . . you think we offer all this great advice for free . . . you can pay us off by posting a picture of your insert since we're very much into looking at pictures of stoves and inserts. ;) :) . . . and I'm glad to hear that the advice worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.