newbie question on ash clean-up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skelm

Hearth Supporter
Nov 26, 2009
East Coast
I did some searches and didn't find anything on this, doing clean-ups on my wood stoves - i have a pan and ashbucket, no matter how g i n g e r l y i place the ashes in the bucket I get a fine layer of white ash everywhere. Anyone have some tips on avoiding it? Or is that just something I have to live with

Thanks!

skelm,
Tip the bucket, put the shovel to the bottom, and let the ashes slide into it at an angle. If I drop them in, even at 1/2 an inch above the bottom, I get dust.

S

I agree. Lots of threads. Handle ash like you would a rotten tomato. Never shovel it as you would anything else. Everything has to be done slowly and gently. Once you learn this you will have zero mess and zero dust.

As stated above (or a little differently) put the shovel gently into the ash bucket. If there is already ashes in the bucket, then put the end of the shovel into those ashes and then simply slide the shovel out....slowly. Never dump ashes or you have one big mess.

When you are done, let the ashes sit outdoors for a few days or take them right out immediately if you wish and put them on your vegetable garden. You can even dump a few in flowers or bushes. Just do not put them on thick or you will be sorry. Spread thin (like no more than 1/2" deep).

skelm said:
Or is that just something I have to live with
Ja, learn to live with it. Despite your best efforts, there is still going to be some ash getting out just opening the door. A good strong draft and opening a window to pressurize the room can help suck some of the ash up the flue.

I'm not burning full time yet so I can go weeks between ash removal, yet ash settling on the wife's Chip n' Dale furniture still puts me in the doghouse. I blame it on her for flinging the stove door open but that just gets me more time in the doghouse.

You should not get ash getting out just because you open the fire door!

I use the "gentle" techniques the others have advised. Plus, I lay a section of newpaper over the top of the bucket and that helps keep it down somewhat. The ash, I mean. You still have to lift the paper to slip the shovel in, and some ash will drift out. I have a Blue Air air filter unit that I roll over near me and crank up to high speed, and that also helps.

But in the end, there is always some ash loose in the air. I have read several times that such ash is not good for lungs. I try to keep from breathing the worst of it.

LLigetfa said:
I'm not burning full time yet so I can go weeks between ash removal, yet ash settling on the wife's Chip n' Dale furniture still puts me in the doghouse. I blame it on her for flinging the stove door open but that just gets me more time in the doghouse.
:lol:

I find if I stand there >:-( while my husband is doing it the job comes out much cleaner. Perhaps you can google up an image to position by the stove if you have no helper to do this for you.

Ja, ain't it the truth... the things we do when we think we won't get caught.

I blame this shoulder season. My draft is marginal at best and the stove is not running hot enough to sustain the draft. If I crack open the window a couple of minutes before opening the stove and if I just open the stove door a crack to allow the inrush of air to suck the ash away from the door gasket, I usually don't get spillage.

I can't win for losing though. When we're burning 24/7, invariably the ashes will be hot coming out of the stove. Letting the stove cool to remove ashes takes too long and reduces the draft. There is a lot of convection air coming up off the hot ashes and the slightest puff of dust gets carried right up to the ceiling if there isn't enough draft to pull it into the stove. What I really have to do is add more height to my chimney to improve the draft.

Or is that just something I have to live with Yup...it's dirty and the heats uneven, lots of us have...issues. We burn wood for punishment and to foul our nests.

savageactor7 said:
We burn wood for punishment and to foul our nests.
Ja, a form of self-flagellation and worship for the Gods of frugality.

Just start burning PINE!!!!! seems that pine does not leave as much ash behind. I can burn a full cord and still yeild less than 3 gallons of ash out of it. Then again I got a STRONG draft, and some of the finer ash is carried out the stack. SO, either start burning pine, and one of two things will happen, less ash to clean, or less house to clean<(aka it'll burn down)>

Status
Not open for further replies.