Newbie question on cleaning.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wmk1956

Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
We have a Jotul c350 Winterport fireplace insert which we had installed last year and using every evening and throughout the weekends. My question is how often we are supposed to clean the chimney.

Second question is as you are brushing down I don’t see where the particles fall to. Anyone have experiences? Is the top plate removable?

Thanks for any help.

Tried to DL the owners manual to read it for you (in case you havent checked it for this info) But Jotuls website is being naughty. I'm guessing you bought this stove from Ashwood on Long Island. Have you tried asking them about the baffle?

http://www.jotul.com/FileArchive/Technical Documentation/Wood inserts (USA)/Jøtul C 350 Winterport/Manual_C350_Winterport_138376_RevE_1108.pdf

In case you lost the manual. It is discussed on page 18 here. I may as well save you from having to click on a link.

The chimney can be swept directly into a bucket
placed under the flue outlet, with removal of the
two cast iron baffle plates.
1. Push up on the Left Baffle to disengage its
locating boss from the Secondary Air Tube.
2. Slide the Secondary Air Tube to one side to
disengage it from the opposite side Air Channel
and remove it from the firebox.
3. Lift the Right Baffle up and forward off of the
rear and side support shelves.
4. Repeat with the Left Baffle.
5. Re-assemble in the reverse order, being sure to
engage the nub on the Left Baffle with the hole
in the Secondary Air Tube.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.