Newbie Question on door seal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wmk1956

Oct 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
First year with Jotul Winterport insert.

I was sitting by the door while a fire was going and I heard a sound. So I took a match, light it and ran it over the door openings with the door closed. Over various points the flame would dance as air was being sucked into the door. Is this common or do I need to replace the gasket already?

First- be sure that it's not some turbulence from the blower. Second- try the "dollar" trick to check the door seal when the stove is cold- shut the door on a dollar and the gasket should provide resistance to pulling it out. There shouldn't be a loose gasket, they are easy to replace.

I did the match test around my doors and had a hard time because of the heat radiating from the glass, etc. . .
Did the dollar test and found what I needed to know. I resealed some of the gasket material and closed the door with a sheet of newspaper between the gasket and the stove so that I wouldn't accidentally glue any gasket material to the stove facing. If the newspaper (single sheet) holds tight, then the gaskets are seated good.

Status
Not open for further replies.