Newbie Question / Recessed insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sburner

Oct 31, 2013
Mississippi
Im new to the wood stove world and have a question in regards to installing an insert into existing masonry fireplace. I live in the southern US. North East Mississippi to be exact. So it really doesnt get that cold down here. And if it does its not cold for very many continuous days. This insert isnt for trying to heat the whole house. Just to keep the wife happy in the living room where Im always complaining its hot in the house and she is always cold. I dont like turning up the heat on the electric unit and she wants it warmer in the living room.....so the compromise and I suggested the wood stove insert. Enough of that....so my question is this. I have a larger size fireplace opening of 45 inches with a sand stone facing. Due to the stones different shape and sizes/mortor joints the surround to the insert wont fit nice and snug againts them. The fireplace is deep enough that I can actually install the insert deeper into the opening and cut the surround so that it is flush at its edges with the fire brick. In other words It would be somewhat installed recessed about 6 inches behind the sandstone where the fire brick start. Which would give the surround (once I cut it down to fit) a much cleaner look than sitting on top of the sand stone. Anyone ever do this or anything negative with doing it this way?

I don't see a negative, as I've done similar with a Regency surround, where I cut & benched it to fit into an arched top opening, but that fire box was nowhere near the size of yours. Seeing as you're in a more temperate climate, I think that I'd look into getting a smaller wood burning stove - like a Jotul F3CB - that you could simply set in your fireplace & attach a liner to the top. Sure would eliminate a lot of work.

Yes that was what I was looking at doing last year, but did some work for guy locally and got a brand new insert in exchange. Its not an expensive/top of the line unit from what I can tell (century heating) but other than my labor it was free. So Im willing to put a little more labor in to make it look more aesthetically pleasing. Just didnt know if recessing it into the firebox would maybe trap too much heat, or maybe not put out enough heat in doing so.

Yes that was what I was looking at doing last year, but did some work for guy locally and got a brand new insert in exchange. Its not an expensive/top of the line unit from what I can tell (century heating) but other than my labor it was free. So Im willing to put a little more labor in to make it look more aesthetically pleasing. Just didnt know if recessing it into the firebox would maybe trap too much heat, or maybe not put out enough heat in doing so.

Trapping heat is definitely going to happen, but that's why these units generally have blowers. They can get a lot of that trapped heat out into the room...

X2 on the recessed heat. The more it's recessed the more heat will stay in the fireplace. The blower and a block off plate will help.

If it's the small Century insert I have/had, the protrusion is fairly adjustable. So you could have the surround recessed as you plan, but extend the unit out beyond the surround to it's max, trapping less heat back there.

Edit: As far as cutting the surround to fit a curve. If you haven't looked at it, may not be as straight forward as you foresee. The surround is made up of three pieces, attached to one another with bolts through the bent over edges. Then there are the 3 pieces of trim molding. Those you obviously would not be able to use but that shouldn't matter since those unfinished edges will be hidden in your opening. But where the three surround pieces are attached you may have to redrill new bolt holes if you want to use them, since the curve you'll be cutting will likely remove some of them.

All in all, nothing insurmountable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.