Newbie question: stovepipe discoloration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiBar

Hearth Supporter
Oct 7, 2008
Western NY
We have a Lopi Republic 1750 installed in a room with 10' ceilings. There is (supposed to be) black double wall pipe up to the ceiling. there is a small connector from the top of the stove to a 2 ft section of pipe which connects to a long (maybe 6 ft) telescoping section up to the ceiling. My 2 ft section has developed a dulled look to it and where it connects to the long telescoping piece, it is almost scorched looking (if black can look scorched, but I don't know how else to describe it) around the seam and about an inch into the long piece. Is this something to be concerned about? We do not have a flue thermometer, but the stovetop thermometer consistently reads 300 - 600, with a few times getting higher. Thanks!

This sounds a little weird. Could you post a pic? Your stove top temp doesn't sound out of line (maybe even a little cool).

Hmmmm....I personally would be temped to dismantle that 2ft section and give it a good once over. If you have your stove professionally cleaned, I would also have the sweep take a good look at it. As a matter of fact, you may consider calling in a reputable sweep to inspect it anyhow.

It could be as simple as a bad paint job, or as bad as miss matched (possibly dangerous) pipes. Dunno. But if this has enough of a scary look to it, that you feel compelled to post about it, maybe a pro should get involved. Others may be along that can give more ideas.

As you are doing, I would want an explanation and a piece of mind that this is a safe config.

Status
Not open for further replies.