Newbie Question -- Super Cedar Firestarters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soadrocks

Nov 1, 2009
Rochester, NY
Dear All:

My wife and I are sick and tired of all the newspaper ashes that float around everywhere and decided to take Thomas up on his 15% off special and bought the 100 pack. How do they exactly work. They look like a circular piece of wood the size of a coaster....do you just lay it down in the middle and then lay small splits on top and whalah....That's it? Is it as easy as I think it is? Anyone that uses these religiously, please chime on on how to maximize their use...I've read before that you only need to use 1/2 at a time. All suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I absolutely love these things. I use about 1/2 a firestarter to light the wood stove with some kindling and a couple of small splits, let it light with the door open about 5 minutes or until you get significant flame up to the baffle, then close the door with the air open until most of that kindling/small wood is gone.

They work great in my open fireplace, too (oops...we're not allowed to have them on this site). :)

I just put two medium splits N/S, light a quarter or a half of a SC between them and lay another medium split on top creating a cave burn and let'er rip. I haven't touched a piece of kindling since I got these things.

Ja, they're great! Use a whole, half, or quarter depending on the size and quality of the wood you have. I use quarters along with some kin'lin.

I got the sample (you might still be able to get a sample? might be worth trying a sample before going all-in for an order...) with like 3 of the supercedars and one thing I liked about them is how *reliably* they started my fires vs. a piece of fatwood which usually works, but sometimes goes out before the whole thing catches (leaving my wood brick mass somewhat charred but cold). I usually add small bits of StarterLogg on either end of the fatwood to ensure a guaranteed start, but I don't need that with supercedars. My typical usage was 1/4 of a supercedar further split in half with one on either side under my woodbrickfuel teepee, some firestarter gel drizzled between them for convenience (so I can torch the gel at one location through the corner of the teepee using my lighter or flint&steel; and ensure both pieces ignite fully and quickly).

It's cedar sawdust mixed with wax. As I understand it cedar already has a lot of flammable (pitch?) substance in it, so it's like the perfect sawdust firestarter. Burns very quick & very hot.

Note that I'm using woodbrickfuel (similar to BioBricks et al) which itself is compressed sawdust, but it doesn't light on its own with a match or lighter so I still need to use a firestarter of some sort. Normal cordwood may need some kindling but who knows. 1/4th of one of these pucks still packs a lot of heat, I'd imagine a full one could ignite even green wood (lol).

Just adding to the positive posts already here, they work great been using them for a few years now and I couldn't be happier, no more newspaper knots,bark, etc etc. If BB says theyr'e ok well then there ya go!

Okay, okay. You talked me into it. Just placed my discounted order. :coolgrin:

A few days ago, just to amuse myself, I loaded the stove(after letting it die out) with about seven or eight white oak splits. I placed one full SC on the bottom and had the fire cracklin in several minutes. I was tempted to use kindling but wanted to see if the SC would light off a full load. It did without a problem. I just might order another case.

YES, go for it...newspaper is a "pain in the ash!" Less mess in your chimney cap as well!

Got my free samples over a year ago, then placed an order for a box full. Pure and simple, they work.
I actually break them into 6 pieces and find thats about as small as I can get them. the 1/6 piece starts my fire every time - no need for me to use a bigger piece.
I use more of a "middle" start... place a few splits on the bottom, super cedar on top then build up around it with some kindling around the starter and bigger splits on top.

just got my big box this week. First thing I noticed using 1/4 of a supercedar to start my fire vs. 1 or 2 pieces of fatwood, is that the stove seems to heat up noticeably faster with the supercedar quarter piece. Great stuff and I have way too much of it now! ;)

Got mine this week as well. "A little dab'll do ya," as the saying goes. Great product.

fullbore said:
A few days ago, just to amuse myself, I loaded the stove(after letting it die out) with about seven or eight white oak splits. I placed one full SC on the bottom and had the fire cracklin in several minutes. I was tempted to use kindling but wanted to see if the SC would light off a full load. It did without a problem. I just might order another case.

+1 two splits down, SC on top, two shorties n/s, two splits on top.....let her rip .....up to full tilt less than 20 minutes.

I have free fat lighter...I buy SuperCeaders!

(available for TV & print ads) :coolsmile:

spirilis said:
Great stuff and I have way too much of it now! ;)
You cannot have too much of a good thing. That'd be like being too rich or too good looking. I'm neither rich nor all that good looking but I'm all set for starting fires.

The Super Cedars changed my life!

I've never had to use more than a quarter of one. I bought a whole case at the beginning of the season a year ago, and still have more than half left. By breaking them into quarters when I need them, and lighting off of coals, that case will probably last me two and a half, maybe three seasons.

I load up the stove (I always burn N/S) and tuck a quarter of a super cedar down near the bottom, about three or four inches back into an opening between splits. I make sure that I load the splits in such a way that the fire from the Super Cedar can work its way up through the splits to the top.

From a cold start, I can get the stove up and going with a full load of splits (5 or 6 medium sized) in about 40 minutes, using no kindling or newspaper.

Awesome.

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.