Newbie Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hatesgas

Jul 14, 2009
MA
Hi,

I was given a free Russo #1 CW stove. Put it on my hearth to my existing fireplace with a new liner etc. Here is my problem. When I first light the fire, the smoke backs up into the room. Why? It only does this when I start the initial fire. Am I doing something wrong or just a victim of a downdraft? Thanks all!

Mark

Attachments

• Russo#1.jpg
    Russo#1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 195
cold chimney. try lighting a piece of paper and see if it goes up the chimney. I see a new product advertised on this forum for that purpose "draw collar". never tried it but looks like the theory should work.

If paper isn't hot enough - try a propane or MAPP gas torch aimed into flue exit for ~ 1 minute and then light fire with torch.

Status
Not open for further replies.