Newbie Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RMongeau

Jan 25, 2014
Seekonk, Massachusetts
First off, I would just like to say what a great site this is. I have learned a lot since getting my first insert 2 months ago.
I am clearing out some land and am putting up a wood shed. It will be mostly oak and beech.
After cutting and splitting, is it wise to immediately start stacking it in the wood shed? My gut is telling me it would be much better to leave it outside for some time first.
Any advise would be appreciated.

Rick

Your Beech will season faster than the oak, but I would leave it all out for a year or two. I guess depending on the shed and it's ventilation
how and when to stack into the shed. I would like to be able to put wood in the shed that is ready or one year out so its nice and dry and well seasoned. Good luck and Welcome!

Thanks, that was kind of what I was thinking. I wasn't expecting to be able to use it next winter,
but wasn't sure stacking it in a shed right away would be a good idea. Besides, the shed I was planning
is only open in the front, with the other 3 walls closed.
I guess the best use will be to use it for storage for wood ready for the upcoming burn season, just to keep it dry.

Some extension offices have info on solar kilns..
Been shown to reduce drying time.
http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/420/420-030/420-030.html

Or if you have something that can hold 200deg for 72 hours that is what I'm seeing as drying time/temp for some kiln dried firewood sellers. Say that gives them 20-25% mc.

Thinking about feasibility of making commercial sized one, as no one out here is selling dry wood, and lots of people I know wait till the end, or buys too little.
May be a market for a premium product, especially if people get educated.
Maybe I'll take a page out of rap music, 'first split is free'.

It is always best to dry the wood outdoors then move it into the shed. Be sure to stack it off the ground and in your area it will probably be best to top cover it as soon as it is stacked. Don't try for really pretty stacks; that is, stack it a bit loosely because you will get better air movement this way and air circulation is the number 1 key to drying wood. You can even stack it in the shade if you like but some sun is also a plus. Just remember that air circulation counts more than sunshine for drying wood.

Season outside . . . and then store inside.

Its hard for me to take advise if my mind is set on something. (like building a shed) But stacking fresh split wood inside a shed is not good. I have tried it on several occasions with the same results. water condensation dripping off the ceilings and running down the windows and walls.
It boggles my mind how much water is emitted from fresh split wood.
And oak will turn green with mold in an enclosed shed.
Based on my bad experiences, my dream wood shed would be a pole barn open on all four sides and big enough to stack all my wood, house all my tractors and vehicles, horse carriages and horse trailer, lumber and anything else I could dream up.
But that aint gonna happen...so...
enjoy yourself whatever you do!!

Status
Not open for further replies.