Newbie Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dwsteen

Feb 12, 2015
Canada
Hi folks,

I'm sure this has been brought up many times, although it's my understanding that there are variables for different situations. This is the first winter burn in my new home. I have a storey and a half, with 12/12 pitch. My stove is a corner unit on the main level. I have approximately 12-13' of exposed Selkirk outside and roughly the same for interior stove pipe. there is a 45º elbow at my ceiling that is about 12". My stove is an Energy Pacific Alderlea T5. I have been only doing occasional burns, as a secondary heat source in the very cold months. I'm burning 75% birch and 25% maple. Not the most practical firewood, I know, but we moved in 2 months ago and I was in a pinch. This morning I noticed a golden brown ice formation at the base of the Selkirk on my roof, along with 12' frozen drips of the same colour. In some parts of the base there were dark brown accumulations. Being a newb, I'm not sure if this is normal or a cause for concern. Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a bit of condensation dripping from the chimney cap. I would say it's nothing to worry about but please do make sure your wood is dry. Higher moisture content in the wood will just put more moisture into your chimney.

Lots of exposed chimney too. Make sure and check it often for creosote build up.

Jason

Thank you for your reply. I'm assuming the condensation is from the lengthy chimney allowing the hot air to cool before it is exhausted out into the open air?

Reactions: Fsappo
Thank you for your reply. I'm assuming the condensation is from the lengthy chimney allowing the hot air to cool before it is exhausted out into the open air?

Sure. Brown is better than black though. Aside from creosote traveling on gas form and changing to solid during the trip up the chimney, there is moisture from the wood. So that will condense. It may be a good sized job, but at some point, you could frame in the chimney with an insulated chase where it comes out of your roof. It may look nicer and WILL improve performance.

Chimney -16C.JPG Here's mine this morning at -16C Yellow icicles! Steam! Base of 20ft pipe is 600F internal.

Last edited:
Alright, so I just got down from my roof and inspected a bit closer. There is only one consistent colour of ice. No dark brown like i said in the original post. It was just a shadow from the snow surrounding the base. The colour could be compared to a frozen Amber ale, if that makes any sense. I'll continue to keep an eye on things, but feel I may have been just worrying myself. Thanks again!

Reactions: tarzan
Sounds like things are ok. Good to know you made the trip up on the roof to give yourself some piece of mind. Could you look down or feel into the chimney pipe?

As others have said, you have a lot of exposed chimney that would benefit from being insulated.

Sounds like things are ok. Good to know you made the trip up on the roof to give yourself some piece of mind. Could you look down or feel into the chimney pipe?

As others have said, you have a lot of exposed chimney that would benefit from being insulated.
The pipe is far too high, so I couldn't get a look/feel. I may have to consider the insulated shroud idea in the Spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.