Newbie Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kobalt

Aug 5, 2008
Prince Edward Island
I live in Eastern Canada and have a new Quad Castile on order. I would like to know if putting an OAK up through the ceiling into the attic would be a possibility. My house is 8 yrs old and tight with a Venmar system in it. There is lots of fresh air in the attic as well as good ventilation.

My manual states no attic or garage, I thought either one would be good.

I suspect it best to avoid the attic anyways because of pressure variations...as wind changes around your house the attic pressure can change pretty quickly...this could pass these pressure variations back to your stove..you don't want too much negative pressure coming back to the vicinity of the stove.

By the way some outside air systems in stoves are actually supplying fresh air to the convection fan to be distributed in the room...this outside air just replaces combustion air taken from the room...best of both worlds!...get rid of stale house air and preheat fresh outside air!!

Status
Not open for further replies.