Newbie Question!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sberg81

Dec 23, 2009
Fairfax, VA
Hi everyone. Fireberg here. I just moved up north from Florida and have my first fireplace. I was wondering when is the best time to close my damper/flue after a good fire. I left it open overnight and when the pressure reversed it pulled all that stinky air from my chimney into my house. I know I need to close it, but I don't want to close it too soon and have a bunch of smoke in the house. Any help you can provide is appreciated. Sorry if I am posting in the wrong area. I just found your site.

fireberg said:
when is the best time to close my damper/flue after a good fire.
Not until the fire is completely out, cold, and that means coals buried in the ashes. Otherwise, if a spark decides to leave the firebox, it will come out into the house, instead of up the flue.

Welcome fireberg!

I love fireplaces! Yes, since the chimney flue provides
an updraft above the firebox, all smoke and combustion
byproducts go up the flue. Unfortunately, a lot of the
produced heat too, along with that of your room. So the
damper is the only means to stop this updraft.
However, the fire and all combustion must be completely out,
before you do this. Smoke, burning embers and carbon
monoxide (CO) will enter your house. NEVER close the damper
until your firebox is cold. Most people do this in the morning.

Read and learn more about fireplace safety and operation.
Search Hearth.com, the web and many fine books about
safe fireplace use. Yes, even your local public library.

Enjoy it and always burn safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.