Newbie question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosco

Oct 14, 2010
MA
Hi all,

Was wondering if you could give me some advice. I have pellet stove on the first floor of my home. It is a ground level finished basement. The pellet stove does a great job heating this level. We leave our cellar door open all winter and definately also get some of the warm air into the main living part of the house. We were thinking it would make sense to put a hole or 2 with registers into the ceiling of basement and floor of our main floor above the area where the pellet stove sits so the warm air could rise up easier. Has anyone done this, if so does it work well? Any advice would be appreciated.

PS this forum is great, we have learned so much here !!

Hi tm, welcome to the forum !!!!

This would help. Actually you should have at least 2 registers. One near the stove for heat to rise and 1 for a cold air return.
It's been said here that a small fan blowing INTO the basement on the far side will help even more, creating a convection situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.