Newbie Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shornick

Dec 26, 2010
NEPA
Hi, we have a sealed glass door fire place (stove)? in our living room. We had someone come to check it out and were told its all good to be used but we're not sure about everything we are supposed to do.
I cannot find a damper anywhere, there is a top piece (as seen in the pic) that doesn't completely close off the access to the chimney (which looks like metal of some type to me). We've had birds come down a few times and if I move the top piece I can see straight up to the top. The chimney cleaner removed this piece to check everything and when he out it back said, we're all good and you can just light it up and enjoy. I am assuming I don't need to remove this top piece when burning?
We have fans underneath and vents up above that work with a switch. There is this knob underneath that opens a small door, it's been closed since we've been here and I feel some cool air by it when opening it. The chimney guy didn't say anything about it. I believe the slide knob under door is to control air going into fire? Thanks for any help.
We are only planning on using one enviro log here and there more for ambiance than anything else.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 181
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 185
Shornick,

I have pretty much the same unit. Mine is a BIS zero clearance unit made in Canada and mine is 20 years old. I have burned in it every year. The damper is opened by putting the sliders at the bottom of the doors toward the center. That will open the damper full. The little pull lever inside the bottom grill is for adding more fresh air. The small computer like fans are for producing more circulation to put out more heat. Start with a small fire of kindling and some paper to see if the draft and chimney height is sufficient. You'll tell within a few minutes. I build a fire every night and just let it burn itself out. We clean chimney every summer last week in July ( our chimney guys has us on his schedule) Most of the time he says it doesn't need it. So, this year we went every odd number year. The DA (domestic associate or wife as commonly referred to) just loves the warmth of the fire to go to bed with. Our unit also works very good for the shoulder heating season. Just enough to take the chill out when she gets down to 40 at night and it wants to stay 60's in the house.
Your can also look at the Energy King wood stove website they manufacturer a similar unit today. I purchased my BIS unit from Energy King 20 years ago today they make a similar unit.

Good Luck
Minnesota Marty

Thank you for the info Minnesota, really looking forward to getting this thing fired up but having not had a fire inside my house before, I've was a little nervous. I imagine that top plate can stay in place, or is meant to anyway?
We both Minnesota, spent 5 years out there and look forward to returning one day.

Shornick,

Just leave the top plate as is. The flames will deflect off that plate to go up the flue. Nice unit, you are good to go.

Good Luck

Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.