Newbie Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiles05

Nov 30, 2011
Southern NH
First, I do apologize up front if I have not followed correct protocol ... I did check out the stickies before posting.

Anyways, I have an opportunity to pick up a pellet stove - Napolean 45 (I believe that is correct) at a very reduced price. A good friend of mine is moving to the Raleigh, NC area and has sold his house. He has offered to give me the stove for a $250. I have seen the stove and know that it works and is serviced properly.

My question is it worthwhile in the following set-up? A colonial layout built in 1948. Basement location - unfinished with no insulation in floors. Small home 1,700 sq ft. Current heating system is oil with forced hot air. I do not have venting in the first floor other than what is set up for the duct work. Pellet stove would vent thru the chimney. The pellet stove would be used to help reduce cost of heating oil. Does not need to be primary heating source. House is on just one zone currently.

I have been told this can be done very easily and quickly, but I am not sure that the stove would provide enough heat throughout the house to offset the cost of installation, pellets, etc.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Sorry if this all too basic.

Welcome!

Not to sure I would put it in your basement. You probably want to put it, where you want it to heat, the first floor.

Tom C.

agree with silverfox. Also you mention that you would exhaust through the chimney. It CANNOT be the same chimney as the oil furnace is using. Find a nice corner or clear wall to set it in your living space.

Thanks for the info. This would not exhaust through the same as the furnace. The furnace had to be power-vented directly out through the wall. The chimney is not used for other venting. Due to the layout of the house the basement would have to be the choice as the living room is a true front to back colonial style and is on the narrow side. Five windows in the living room and a decorative fire place. I was thinking as it is free standing the basement would be the choice. Am hesitant to go this route, but I am being offered the stove a great price so I may give it a try.

Many here will agree that putting the stove in the area you want to heat is the best route. But like you I found the best place for my stove was in the basement. Takes lots of work to move the heat to where you really need it. If I had to do it from scratch again I would go the pellet furnace route. So depending on your current form of heat you could add a forced air pellet furnace or sister a pellet boiler to the existing system. You get the heat where you want it and the whole house will be warm. Not just certain area's the heat can get to.

Keep us posted.

Either way for that price I would buy it.

$250 for the stove. $200 for a vent kit. $50 in accessories (surge protector, cleaning tools) $600 in pellets. Thats $1,100 and maybe the opportunity to tell the oil man to kiss your A$$.

Stoves dont do great in the basement. But some do. Worst come to worst, sell it and double your money (at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.