Newbie safety question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdeckeeda

Dec 4, 2016
We just moved into our new-to-us house. As part of the home inspection negotiations, we had the mortar on some of the refractory panels repaired and the chimney cleaned and inspected. The mortar was repaired, and a chimney sweep report stated the chimney did not need cleaning and the chimney passed inspection.

However, I just got ready to build our first fire, and I noticed a gap between the brick and the flue. The gap is about an inch wide and runs the length of the fireplace. The gap has some (well-worn) wood in it and what looks like some batt insulation stuffed up in it. There are still some openings with nothing.

I have 2 questions; 1) Should we have been more specific and asked for a fireplace and chimney cleaning and inspection, or are we okay with having just said chimney? And 2) is the fireplace safe to use with the air gap?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I tried to attach pictures... Hopefully they are of some use...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 117
Are you sure that is wood? Can you poke a screwdriver or awl into it? If yes, that is a red flag.

Are you sure that is wood? Can you poke a screwdriver or awl into it? If yes, that is a red flag.

Wow, so thank you for the reply. I stuck a screw driver up there, and I don't think it is wood. It feels more like stone or cement. Does this mean that it is okay to use with he gap and insulation?

Thanks again for the reply, I really appreciate it.

If the fireplace was properly constructed there should be another layer of brick behind the gap, but there's no way to be sure of that just looking at a picture. Ideally that gap would be filled with brick and mortar instead. You could pull the insulation to see what's behind it. If brick and mortar then it is probably ok with the insulation stuffed in there, but it should get properly patched.

Status
Not open for further replies.