newbie thermix question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Csmith

Jul 3, 2006
My understanding (after the liner is in place) that for thermix insulation you put a stopper (piece of metal) near the damper and start pouring from the top. Would you ever do it for less than the full length of the chimney (put the stopper higher up, only insulating part of the liner)

after some more investigation, this is done in the same vein as insulating the just top of the liner with a blanket, except that you just thermix around the top part of the liner - providing insulation to the furthest point away from the heat source

The guys that lined my chimney insulated the whole liner with thermix...from the thimble to the cap.
If you are going to do it you might as well do the whole thing.

JMO...

When my chimney liner was installed the entire area around the chimney liner was filled with thermix. This helps keep the flue warm and the outside of the chimney block cool. Worked great last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.