Newbie to Gassifiers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilsBrew

Minister of Fire
Apr 21, 2013
Where do I start? Please point me in the right direction to start learning about these things. Ha! I think I am so new that I spelled it wrong.

Start right here - there's enough reading to get you through this winter at least.

Just make like a sponge for the next few months - too late anyway (I would think) to do anything for this winter.

Good time to start getting ahead on dry wood too.

I'm so excited to learn about a new (for me) process of burning wood. Thanks.

Start cutting and splitting wood NOW. Or buy some cut and split. Wood needs to be split for a couple years before it's good (yes, there are exceptions like oak-longer and soft maple-shorter)

get 3 years ahead on wood... and owning a gasser is MUCH more fun.

Spend time reading here. Use the search function. Read some more.

JP

I didn't know where to start. I have been notified of the parallels between the rocket stove and gasifiers and I am extremely intrigued. Thought there might be an "this is what a gasifier is thread for dummies". No worries. I have started reading threads and googling.

Clarkburg, that was a great link. I didn't realize they are almost the same as rocket stoves. How much would a small gasifier cost?

Last edited:
What do you consider the differences to be? The main one for me at this time seems to be storing the heat in mass.

The two types of heaters seem to be using the same concept.

Speaking of rocket stoves, this looks like the same burn tunnel used in the Helix

Clarkburg, that was a great link. I didn't realize they are almost the same as rocket stoves. How much would a small gasifier cost?

It really depends on what you mean by "small".... And also the level of automated control you want on the boiler. For additional dollars, you can get a boiler equipped with control systems that automatically regulate the amount of air on the primary and secondary side.

The smallest boiler that seems to be popular here on the forums is the EKO 25kw, which is about $4k. It has its own quirks, but some folks are very happy with them. (I could be wrong, there might be smaller out there, I just dont know about them)

Reactions: DevilsBrew
Status
Not open for further replies.