newbie to pellet stove question thinking of getting a 55-trp10

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

duramax_lbz

Sep 23, 2014
mass
hello everyone i am planning on installing a stove in my 100yr old house it is roughly a 28x28 squre with a attic second floor bedrooms,first floor living dining and kitchen and it has a unfinished stone basement where the furnace and oil tank is i dont have a lot of $ to play with and was thinking of purchasing the timber ridge 55-trp10 from amfm for $800 which is rated for 1500sqf do you thing that is enough ? i am going to install in my dining room on first floor.. i figured that if mu house is 28x28 that should be 784sqft then double it for second floor would be 1568 am i correct on how i believe that works (haha probably not)

Take into consideration that stove ratings are "best case scenario". You are probably pushing the outer limits of its capability.

Unless your house was completely re-insulated, I would definitely spend the extra $200 and go with the 55-TRP22 instead. The 55-TRP10 will likely have a difficult time keeping up during the mid-winter months, and your upstairs will probably always stay cold.

Good luck!

ya that is what i thought too . are these the same ones at lowes? there is a guy selling a 2 yr old one near me with piping and hearth for 900 on craigslist it looks exact but its a englander

They're all the same. Englander makes Summer's Heat, Englander and Timber Ridge. As long as the $900 unit looks in good condition, and has been cleaned regularly, that's a good deal. Replacement parts are available easily from the factory, and Mike Holton, who is a very active member here is their Repair/Service supervisor. He typically chimes in on nearly every Englander thread.

The stoves at AMFM energy are a great deal. They are factory refurbished and Mike's group re-certifies each one of them. So the question to answer is new/refurb stove with a warranty, or take the chance and save a little money on the piping and hearth.

Tough call!

For me, My 55-SHP22, which is the same as the TRP22, is going on it's seventh year, and I haven't needed to replace anything but gaskets. I've actually got a spare combustion blower that never needed to be replaced. I'll also probably pick up a spare auger motor this year, as they are due for replacement.

Good luck!

Just for piece of mind you may want to just go with the AMFMheating.com refurb, which is probably a new stove and not a refurb. Mike can let you know what they're selling currently. Also it may be a little bit more, but having new piping would probably be the better choice in my opinion. I'm sure heating a 100yr old house with oil is going to cost a lot more than the extra $400 you'll spend on the new stove and piping compared to the used. My 2 cents, but obviously your choice. Good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.