Newbie to splitting- what do you guys do if you find a bunch of carpenter ants or termites!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Backwoods Savage said:
I once took some birdseed that the wife uses in all her bird feeders and drew a line right to the ants I found while splitting. Turkeys came through and found the seed and it brought them right to the ants I'd found. No more ants. I did have to chase the turkeys away for a few days after that but it got rid of all the ants.

. . . and then I brought in the coyotes to take care of the turkeys . . . and then had to bring in some hunters to take care of the coyotes . . . and then had to bring in a Budweiser truck to take care of the hunters . . . ;) :) . . . and yes . . . I mean no disrespect to hunters . . . just being funny.

I had this problem too. When we bought our new house the previous owner, who was in his late 80's, left a huge pile of beech, walnut, poplar, and ash to rot because he couldn't split it. I salvaged what I could but most of it was too rotten for indoor use or termite infested so it went to the outdoor stack. I got some Boric Acid and put it on the ground around where the wood was piled to take care of any of the buggers who thought they would outsmart me. Boric Acid is a an organic, naturally occurring acid that basically dehydrates them as the crawl through it. BTW, I was almost in tears with all the wood that was relegated to the outside.

Did you buy pure boric acid? I'm interested in sprinkling some around the indoor pile (of course, it won't affect anything flying), but the only thing I've seen in stores is Roach Pruf, which is mostly boric acid, but also has a little attractant in it. I'd rather not attract anything inside. How would this work outside? Wouldn't the rain dissolve it?

I purchased some boric acid on ebay.

My father in-law actually gave it to me but it is 100% Boric Acid. My thinking is that the when the Boric Acid mixes with the rain water it will make the ground un-inhabitable for bugs. I am sure, like all chemicals, I will have to refresh it from time to time. My father in-law uses it around the outside of his house to keep spiders, ants, etc out so I'll be giving that a try also.

Most hardware stores should carry it.Not to mention the big box stores.Several yrs ago I seen it at local grocery even.

What I have in cupboard over clothes dryer is a cardboard can with metal top & bottom.Its probably 20yrs old by now,its faded orange & white PUREPAC Pure Boric Acid Granular 1lb total weight.Very fine powder last I checked.

firefighterjake said:
Backwoods Savage said:
I once took some birdseed that the wife uses in all her bird feeders and drew a line right to the ants I found while splitting. Turkeys came through and found the seed and it brought them right to the ants I'd found. No more ants. I did have to chase the turkeys away for a few days after that but it got rid of all the ants.

. . . and then I brought in the coyotes to take care of the turkeys . . . and then had to bring in some hunters to take care of the coyotes . . . and then had to bring in a Budweiser truck to take care of the hunters . . . ;) :) . . . and yes . . . I mean no disrespect to hunters . . . just being funny.

Well, you came pretty close Jake! We got the turkeys and then the coyotes moved in. Next thing you know we had a few big parties of coyote hunters (some problems there which we took care of). We also pick up empty beer cans along the road amongst other trash that is thrown out. On the coyote hunters, they just started hunting by loosing their dogs when the found a track in the snow then went from there. Problem was they just thought they could go anywhere without permission. Some folks are okay with that; we're not.

I was approached then by one of the leaders of one hunting party and he lives just a short ways from us. He said he could not control the dogs to stay off but could the hunters. I informed him that is what I had asked and also, if they would have thought ahead of time they could have had permission. Well, this year we found where one of the hunters went across our property so I let others know that should we find any of them on our property we would not be so kind the next time and that we will prosecute. They were asked nicely to stay off. Nice goes only so far.

Normally at this time of year we also have problems with people sucker fishing. They think they can park along our place and just walk back to the creek. Sorry folks, I have not given permission for that so you are trespassing.

It is bad enough that they sneak on your land and steel your fish but then they usually leave their trash there also!

Unfortunately hunters can be our own worst enemies. Ruining for the rest of us.

Well, the fish are not mine and I do not mind them fishing the creek but do not want them crossing my land. And yes, it seems they always leave trash.

btw, in MI, they have rights to the creek. So long as they follow the creek from the road they are okay fishing; just don't go wandering. I have no problem with that and we have a bit over 1/4 mile frontage on a good fishing creek. But they can have all the suckers they want.

fireview2788 said:
Unfortunately hunters can be our own worst enemies. Ruining for the rest of us.

Ain't that the truth!

Well just one final comment acknowledging people are kindly sharing their experience here but also noting sometimes you're experience may not always match with reality:)
I say that in regards to several comments indicating the that as long as the wood is not wet it will not attract/sustain carpenter ants or termites. I had "learned" from several sources over my years as a real estate agent that carpenter ants need wood that is wet and soft to chew into but termites did not. But after talking with several licensed pest treatment types I have been told that is not true and they had examples including finding both termites and carp ants in less than one year old homes and the wood was dry that they burrowed into. Its apparently somewhat common for new homes to get them if they are in a location where a lot of trees were cut down- the bugs need a new place to live and say "oh looky here- a big square tree has suddenly appeared and we can get in where its nice and warm all year with none of those damn birds pestering us! " So real world examples of bugs eating healthy and very dry wood used to make a house!
Now it is true both insects need a source of moisture but it doesn't have to be in the wood. Termites will make these tubes going from the wood they are eating into the ground and can find their moisture that way. I can't find the pic but I had my fave home inspector look at a 4 family, in the city no less.....that I wanted to buy and when he looked into the crawl space he saw about 20 termite tubes going from the sills to the ground along the foundation. He was like Jack Hannah seeing something he's never seen before! He got ll excited and called it the largest colony he'd ever seen. And this building had been vacant for a year so no internal water-they had to have gotten all they needed from rainwater in the ground. we found the sills and about 20 ft of the main beam thru the middle of the basement was toast! Could put your finger into it! No idea how far they traveled up in the walls but in this area our termites are subterranean and in general ONLY eat up about 3ft into the walls.
Signs of carp ants you may see will look like little chunks of wood or sawdust in a spiders web- that's called Fras-the 'web' type material and sawdust are from the ants. Termites if you are lucky you will just see a pile of sawdust on the floor. I went up into my barn one year and found a foot high pile of sawdust under a beam. Termites!
Anyway, Southern NH is the northern most range for termites - up north in the state they do not have them. So for those of you that have snow for 9 months a year at least you don't have to deal with these buggers and thanks everyone for sharing your comments.

I have found carpenter ants in my house and have used Ortho Ant Dust. This was before I started processing firewood. I apply it around the perimeter of the house as a precautionary tool several times a year. It seems to work well. I have not had any carpenter ant sightings in a while. However, I need to make another application now that Spring is here. The stuff is pretty cheap, so I figure better to be safe. Its supposed to work by having the ants carry it back to the nest where it can kill the rest of the colony.

As far as finding ants in splits, this happened to me about two weeks ago. I was splitting some wood I got last fall and out came the carpenter ants. Being afraid they would make their way to the house I quickly grabbed some bug spray and killed as many as I could find.

I found a decent website when I had my problem. Some good information. bugspray.com

Ruserious, I have had termites up in the attic of my last house. That was over 15' up. The damage was only in a small area. It was a 5 year old house and I had not been getting treatments. Once I was under a termite contract I never had another problem. I have never heard of carpenter ants living in a house but they will travel a long way looking for food. I think your fire wood will be safe from carpenter ants but not termites. They may eat a little wood but the same happens with rabbits and birds when it comes to a garden.

Backwoods Savage said:
Well, the fish are not mine and I do not mind them fishing the creek but do not want them crossing my land. And yes, it seems they always leave trash.

btw, in MI, they have rights to the creek. So long as they follow the creek from the road they are okay fishing; just don't go wandering. I have no problem with that and we have a bit over 1/4 mile frontage on a good fishing creek. But they can have all the suckers they want.

Damn I forgot about suckers, as a kid I used to go and have the best fishing ever with my ultra light and a fresh dug can of worms, geez I need to find a place to take my son and catch some, they were fun and easy to catch as I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.