newbie w/control panel ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bones774

Jan 3, 2006
Hi, newbie on the board with problems and questions, no answer found in archives. I have a breckwell p28fs and the auger feeds at a non constant rate usually too high,tech at breckwell said new control panel, ce950 at cost of 250.00, said "triax" was no good. Has anybody just repaired the boards, I'll bet its a two dollar piece. Any help appreciated, thanks , bones

You may try the board manufacturer, but it's unlikely that you'll be able to repair that board. Better off ordering another.

Well, assuming your tech information is correct, it may be possible to effect some repair. The word you are looking for is "triac" or plural "triacs". These are basically solid state switches that send pulses of power to the electric motor. More pulses = faster revolution. If you want more info, google "PWM motor control"

If the triac(s) have failed (they usually fail full on or full off, but i suppose anything is possible) you would be looking at finding a suitable replacement, desoldering the old component from the board and resoldering the new components. The triacs shouldn't be terribly expensive, although I don't think radioshack would carry any. newark.com or digikey.com would be the two places I'd look first, but they carry minimum orders of around $25. So you might want to stock up on a few other electronic goodies if you order.

The first step would be to identify the triacs. If you know where they are, you can look up the part number at either retailer I listed above. Or look up triacs to get a picture of what they look like, then look at your circuit board. If you can post or email me a decent resolution picture of the circuit board, I can probably point them out to you...they may be attached to a heat sink depending on how everything is set up.

Lastly if you can't find an exact replacement, get the part number off the triac, you can go to datasheetarchive.com to find the original specs, then replace it with an equal or better component.

Hope this helps, it's a little work, but is definitely cheaper than $250 for a new board!

Corey

Cozy,

Nicely said, well explained. Good on ya.

Joshua

Awww, Shane...I don't think you need to be corrected or were necessarily wrong...just that everyone has different levels of "broken". I would probably break out the soldering iron and try to swap in some components before calling it quits. Some others may not have that specific knowledge, or electronic expertise and just opt for a replacement board...probably where I would wind up anyway! We all know the board manufacturers won't make it easy to replace the components...why sell a $2 component when you can replace the $250 board.

Corey

Hi Corey,

Thanks for the reply and I understand what you are saying. The pellet stove is not a neccessity for me so I have the time to try things out and like you say I may in the end have to buy a board. BTW- It was a tech guy at Breckwell that told me it was a triac, so they must have replaced a few. He also said that in time it will fully fail and the feed will be constant.I'm gonna try and email/post a pic, I bet this can be done. I had a problem like this on my BMW climate control and all it took was a .50 cap to fix the problem vs a $350 unit, go nothing to lose right. Thanks

Hi guys,

Just to wrap up this thread, after calling around and getting $285. quotes for the board, I called a local and he sold me the board for $185. including a new molex adapter(8 pin to six) which others were charging $35.00 for. Replaced easily and all working fine now. Thanks for the help.

was it the same analog board? I have a p28 also mine is working well except I think the feed rates are slow and I am unsure as to were to adjust them,I need the board schematic

Another newbie w/ control panel. I have an Englander 25 PDVC. I changed the exhaust blower, original was china junk. I bought a rotek,
Cadanian made, very quiet. I am on my second control board, they either under feed or over feed. I have decided to buy a a/d temp
controller for $60. The upper auger is the one to control. I know you can get them repaired. but not for $60. Here is a tip, if your glass is getting
dirty use rainx. I had a small bottle & put some on & it made it a lot eaiser to clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.