Newbie w/questions on cleaning Astoria Bay insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

terrinm

Oct 23, 2009
northwest NM
Hi all, love this forum and have learned so much! A little background.... Moved into new house last November, first time on propane and after having to have it filled a couple times last winter DH wanted to get a pellet insert to replace the propane insert. After reading tons of posts here I decided on the St Croix (Harman dealer wouldn't give me time of day), but after installer came and looked at what we had and talked to us he didn't think it was quite big enough. We have approx 2400 sq ft with bedrooms upstairs and the entryway open to 2nd floor. So we looked at the Avalon Astoria Bay insert from the same dealer. Decided to go with it and so far LOVE it. So far no cold evenings because we didn't want the propane forced air furnace coming on to much lol.

We've burned just under 2 bags of Country Pride pellets from Lowes and I think maybe the stove is dirtier than it should be but would like opinions from those that know what they are talking about :)

First pic is of the door, lots of black on the glass and lots of ash sticking to the door gasket.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Vlb4a6wBgtI/SuIcSZWCf9I/AAAAAAAAAlw/z06M6njvL6I/s400/100_0688.JPG

Next is the ash pan, practically empty, good right?
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Vlb4a6wBgtI/SuIcT-wHf7I/AAAAAAAAAl4/xGuP6V8LLmA/s400/100_0690.JPG

Except for the 1/4" of ash in the burn area
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Vlb4a6wBgtI/SuIcTHF1V4I/AAAAAAAAAl0/dNmM_wBN73w/s400/100_0689.JPG

shouldn't this all drop to the ask pan for emptying? I did figure out there is a plate right above the ash pan that slides out (sorry for the blur)
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Vlb4a6wBgtI/SuIcUj0QgpI/AAAAAAAAAl8/J93rlOGyFos/s400/100_0691.JPG

Am I supposed to slide this out so the ash falls into the ash pan? If so how often? Sorry for so many questions, but the manual that came with the insert is fairly worthless. Very little info on maintenance. I've read thru lots of cleaning posts, but so far haven't found anything specifically about the Astoria Bay insert.

Any help is great appreciated!

I don't know anything at all about your stove, but you know what they say:
"CLEANLINESS IS NEXT TO GODLINESS"

I have the same stove except mine is the free standing model. The amount of ash you see is average after a couple bags. You need to pull the plate and sweep the ashes from the stove into the ash tray. My house is 2600 sf and this stove keeps it very comfortable. I went through 5.5 tons last year without any issues. good luck!

Thanks Nate! I just finished cleaning it out, shop vac'd most of the ashes but then saw the holes under the plate that pulls out so that part will be easier next time.

Good to know that amount is average, since this is our first stove and we don't know anyone with one we really have no idea what to expect. The next 2 bags are Heat Resource, again from Lowe's, and the bag says they are oak, will be interesting to see how they do. Then it's on to Rocky Mtn and Teramigo :)

Thanks!

I just recently sold my Astoria to get a multi-fuel stove, but while I had it, I loved the Astoria...great heat, quiet, no mecahnical or electrical problems at all.

As for yours, from the pics, everything I see is NORMAL. Yes, the plate under the firebox slides out to open the trap doors to the ashpan. When you clean, use a cheap flat 3" paint brush to gently brush the ash out of the firebox into it. Then vacuum the remaining ash. (hint: put the vacuum hose tip in one trap door slightly while you brush the ash on the the other side.....eliminates a lot of dust)

I don't know if you have the same manual I had, but it was all I needed to clean the stove. Anything else you need to know, just ask on the forum, or PM one of us that have (or had) an Astoria.

Just keep it clean, and you shouldn't have any problems. Enjoy the heat!

BTW, the pic of the door glass isn't too bad. How long had the stove been running after the glass was cleaned last? Might try what Blanc mentions below....open the air a tad more......or it could be the pellets.

I have the free standing version of your stove and love it. It looks to me that you may need to give it a little more air. open the handle on the left side about 1/4 of an inch.

Status
Not open for further replies.