Newbie - Wall protection question for Jotul F370 install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doa2k

Feb 3, 2012
Seymour, CT
Hi folks,

Im in the process of setting up the corner of our living room for the installation of a Jotul F370 wood stove. My wife and I choose the stove for its aesthetic value (looks) as opposed to its heating value.
Our home is less than 1400 sq ft and the area the stove is heating is around 600 sq ft. Im estimating if I use the stove nightly, it should reduced my oil consumption around 25% and Im happy with that.

My question is regarding wall protection.

The manual states that without wall protection the minimum clearance to an unprotected wall is 16".
With adequate wall protection and a single wall pipe the clearance is reduced to 9".
With adequate wall protection and a double wall pipe the clearance is reduced to 6".

The are no details as to the coverage needed to considered the walls protected. I purchased two 28"x32" stove boards UL approved for wall protection.

I've determined that with proper placement of these stove boards on the wall (1" air space, ceramic spacers),
I can place the stove with the sides 9" from the wall and no part of the stove will be within 16" of an unprotected wall surface.
There would be roughly 5 inches unprotected surface from the floor and a few inches of unprotected surface in the corner,
bare in mind the stove sits on a roughly 15" pedestal and again no part of the stove would be within 16" of an unprotected wall surface.

Will this be enough to provide adequate fire safety and to satisfy the fire marshall to sign off on it?

What I'm trying to avoid is having to fully panel 4 ft high and 4 ft sides from the corner if possible.
Obviously safety comes first, but if I can be safe and create the aesthetic look I want, that would be my first choice.

Thank you for reading. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Happy Burning!

~Steve

Welcome Steve. You are on the right track. Assuming you are using double-wall connector pipe, the wall shield should extend to 6" above the stove's flue collar and normally the bottom would be 1-3" off the hearth. The gap in the corner could be an issue for the inspection. That area would be unshielded.

There are other options for the wall shielding. As long as it has the NFPA required air gap it could be just stiff sheetmetal (24ga or heavier), or just cement board. The key is that it must be non-combustible. I would give some consideration to aesthetics here. Maybe make the shield out of 22ga stainless steel? It could be bent to fit the corner and hemmed top, bottom and sides for a clean finished look.

BeGreen thanks for taking the time to respond.

I think rather than try and nit pick the details, Im going to bite the bullet and order (2) 40"x48" UL listed black wall boards.
This will give me the 6" above the flue protection you mentioned. As well the boards will be long enough to protect the corner.
The board may raise up to 3" inches above the hearth but since the stove sits on a 15" pedestal, I doubt that'll be an issue.

Once the projects complete (prob 4 weeks or so). I'll post some pics!

Time to split some wood!

Have a great weekend!

~Steve

Don't mean to be rude at all here but, those stove boards are not very attractive. With this stove some Stainless or glass would sure fit the bill!

webby

You bring a good point and I was relunctant to go with the black stove board for that very reason.
I opted against the stainless because I thought it would distract. Glass I hadnt thought of. I suppose
a dark tinted glass could look classy but I dont even know if thats possible and even if it is, at what cost?

To be honest, the living area has accents of black all over, cylindrical stairs, black appliances etc...
Plus were going with a polished black granite hearth (45" both sides with the front corner snipped),
so ultimately I think the black background will work. Plus the latest one I bought have the edges
finished off with an edging, which looks cleaner than the previous ones which simply had the
covering wrapped around the back side of the board and stapled down. Its not a large chunk
of the $$$ outlay so I can always update the protection scheme down the line.

I'm anxious to get this done asap but by-the-book from a safety standpoint.

Thanks for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.