Newbie wants advice for wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nuttz565

Oct 4, 2010
Colorado
Hey guys, first off this is the best place for info regarding anything to do with a chimney:). I have spent the last week reading up on all kinds of great info. Here is my question. I have decided on a wood insert for my fireplace. My house is about 40 years old and we moved in 2 years ago. I have had about 2 dozen fires lit in the fireplace with no problems at all. We all know how inefficient a open fireplace is so I have my eyes set on a Quadrafire. Now as you can see in the pics I currently have glass doors covering the open of the fireplace. Now after looking at many pics of different inserts I have noticed almost no one's fireplace looks like mine. My firebox is about 8 inches of my hearth, most pics I have seen the firebox sits flush with the hearth. I was wondering is this going to cause a problem when I put my insert in? Will it need some kind of support under the front of it? I live in 2300 sq ft tri level house, our fireplace is on the outside wall of the family room which sits on the lower part of the house. Thanks so much.

Attachments

• Fireplace 1.jpg
    Fireplace 1.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 226
  • Fireplace 2.jpg
    Fireplace 2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 220
Depending on the insert you decide to put in, you MAY have to add
some sort of "riser" to support the weight of the unit.
A flush insert probably won't require anything & will probably look OK,
but you really won't know til you get it in there & see what happens when you open the door.
If it sits in place & doesn't rock at all, you should be good to go.
Any of the inserts that protrude from the wall will require the riser & an extended hearth.
HTH

I've got a Lopi Freedom instert. I had the choice for "flush' mount or to bring it out from the hearth 8". The flush mounting isn't really flush, but about 4" out. All the weight is behind it, and only the door+blower extend.

btuser said:
I've got a Lopi Freedom instert. I had the choice for "flush' mount or to bring it out from the hearth 8". The flush mounting isn't really flush, but about 4" out. All the weight is behind it, and only the door+blower extend.
Ya thats what I was thinking too, Im going to go with a "flush mount". Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.