Newbie - where to start learning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hookla

Aug 18, 2008
Upstate NY
Hello all,
Thank you all for running a very informative site... After moving from a house with a propane fired hot (warm) air furnace and 2 wood stoves to a older (mid 50's) home with a older oil boiler and floor radiators I started lurking around trying to learn as much as I could about boilers and water systems. Especially since the old house had 2 great wood burning stoves I was worrying about missing all the comfort of that radiant heat. Also having to order oil at $4+/gallon got me thinking (worrying) about alternatives as well especially once I found out there was a old Magic Chief coal boiler plumbed in parallel with the oil boiler. After all the lurking I decided that there was not much I could do this heating season so I have bitten the bullet ordered oil, had the maintenance on the old boiler performed and am going to ride out this heating season and learn all that I can in preparation for next year....I figure that setting up some realistic goals and getting info would be the best course of action.
on the goals side of the equation I am still interested in 1. reducing my reliance on oil for my heating and hotwater, 2. installing a system that is flexable and expandable (I am pretty sure I am going to need a detached 2 car garage/shop and I figure adding the radiant floor should be a given,) 3. Adding some type of solar suppliment seems to be a no brainer, 4. the system needs to be instrumented so I know existing heat loads, oil usage, how the radiators are doing, what is going on with DHW. I figure that goal 4 is what i should spend some time on this winter so I can make some some decisions about heat sources boiler or stoves, inside or out (in new garage/shop), fuel types wood,pellet,corn (coal really does not interest me), heat distribution (radiators, retro fit radiant other) going forward. Does anyone have a simple way to gather data like this? I have looked at the system at http://www.ourcoolhouse.com/scada.htm and considered trying to modify that but am interested in hearing about others experiences.
Thanks again for a great site.

I would track and record your oil usage. Track degree days as well. Do a heat loss on existing building. Reduce air infiltration. Insulate, preferably spray foam where access is possible. Windows, doors, all the easy stuff. Lower your heat loss, lower your future load demands. Make use of this site and keep a folder on stuff that interests you and your application. I have a hydronics folder where I copy many posts and links for continued reference so when I am ready to pull the gasifier trigger I will be ready. Oh yeah get some wood in and seasoning for next year. Gasifiers like seasoned wood.
I am sure you will get plenty of advice here.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.