NEWBIE WITH A GREENWOOD 200 UP NORTH - HELLO

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
24/7 thats right! I think in the long run the tank will help but it is a work in progress. I am still searching info about proper sizes, style of insulation ,heat exchangers and the like. Right now I just have a poly tank inside a steele cage, wrapped in a foot of insulation. I dump water directly from the stove then pull off the bottom of the tank. I'm sure that I am siphoning the cooler water from the tank so I think I can improve efficeincy as I figure a better way to do it.
I will try and get a picture of those pipes for you if I can make my camera and computer commnicate.

Steve

tigermaple said:
Hello,
I think their r&d;is us early buyers.

TFF

I have been running my aquastat at 190 since two Sundays ago when we had a minor cold snap. In my un-scientific observation, that setting worked fine even when it was 39 out the other day. I guess my oil-fired Viessmann has spoiled me . . . I am determined to develop 'outside control' for my GW also.

Ice coming down here in NY

Jimbo

Doug,
I turned the water temp up to compensate for heat loss in the transfer lines and plate exchanger. The system reacts quicker and burns very clean. If I'm using more wood, it is such a small amount. I can't notice it. I'm sorry to hear you having to tear down your system, that looks like a b*tch. I have been wondering myself how to clean the pipe behind the refractory. After xmas I burned a lot of paper and cardboard and the tubes got pretty covered in fluffy ash but compressed air removed it (and put it on me). Let us know how it goes.
Pat

Jimbo,

Yeah, looks like ice, snow, sleet, rain and wind. I guess that's why I'm home with the kids today.
What do you mean by "outside control"?
Pat

a small sand blaster is the way to get them clean. snow due here today 2-4 then ice rain and more snow a real f mess to deal with, o well isnt that why we live in the northeast.

sparky1961 said:
I have a greenfire boiler for about 4 months now and there is a learning curve in run this stye of boiler . This boiler needs really good draft they say around .06 to .07 if u don"t have not enough draft u don't have enough air for good combustion and causes problems such as build up on the pressure vessal that will reduce heat transfere to the pressure vessal. That increase the amount of wood u burn . Also u get a clog chimney . I started the season i was burning split wood maple and yellow birch that was small in size 4'' to 7'' an i found that it did not burn clean and had very short burn times. So i switch to wood that was cut in the fall and that had a large dia 8'' to 13'' this made a huge improvment in how clean it burns and the burn times went up to 10 to 12 hours . It gets very cold in fort kent . me. We have had temps of 34- below . I heating 3600 sq ft with 130 btu unit and we keep the house temps at a very coze 76 degrees. At these hi oil prices i will save around $4500 dollar i like that !!
What made you choose this unit and how did you make the draft better? Thanks MJ

stihlwoody said:
Doug, after talking with people who"really know", I have come to understand that with the style of baseboards I have the maximum water temp is 190. It is not possible for the fins to distribute any more heat no matter what the fluid temps are. One option would be slowing down the flow but is not practical for me at this time. I think that the burn effceincy rises also as the burn can be hotter and more complete. I do adjust temps down as the temp rises outside (at +15 I reduce boiler temp back down to 180). Maybe with all of the practical knowledge out there we will get this right?!

Steve

This is not true. Although it's uncommon now, baseboard can and will handle steam temps of 215*+ if the system is designed for it. You'll get about 20% more btu/lineal ft at that temp as opposed to 180*. Check out any BB manufacturers website and they will have temps listed to over 200* at least. The hotter is is the more heat it produces. Anything else would contradict the laws of thermodynamics and that paadna', does not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.