Newbie with beautiful old Glenwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gkudaka

Oct 19, 2008
white Mtns NH
I'm adding a garage with a sunroom. I picked up a beautiful old Glenwood for supplementary heat and cooking. I've read here that these old stoves are notoriously inefficient, but I don't plan on heating the room 24/7. And yes, I kind love it. Its a beauty. Very little rust and has been re-chromed.

But I think the the restoration covered and blocked the ash clean out tray. It looks like the inside of the firebox is covered with an inch-thick cement like mix. I'm guessing it's mortar. Or let's say, I'm hoping it's mortar, and not asbestos. Does anyone know how I could tell the difference?

From what I've read, you basically just clean these up and re-seal the places where the parts are joined with a fire caulk or mortar. So that's what I plan on doing this winter. Some party of me wants to go with a hi-temp paint, but I also am thinking stove black.

The gaskets are all missing. How do I tell what size gasket to get?

I would also like to have help. Does anyone know where I could get a manual?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Status
Not open for further replies.