Newbie with chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChimneyQuest

Dec 6, 2007
West Michigan
Since I developed a wood stove obsession, I've found this site and love it!

I knew nothing about wood stoves a month ago but thanks to the internet mostly, I feel like I know something now. Still I have no practical experience--and I'm not a handy person due to no DIY exposure from family. I'm interested in wood stoves because they are carbon neutral, wood is cheap and because I've always loved tending fires (when I was a kid in NoDak we burned garbage out back--don't worry I wouldn't do that now)

I want to have a professional install an efficient (probably cast iron over steel) EPA stove to efficiently heat as much of our 1200 square feet as possible--perhaps QuadraFire Yosemite or Alderlea T4.

I have lots of questions but one of the first ones is this:

Per woodheat.org I should be looking to install an interior chimney for my wood stove. And ideally it should go through both stories of my 1.5 story house. (I'm determined to do everything right and have great draft)

But I've not yet learned much about how the chimney would function on the 2nd floor. (Stove to be on the main floor) Can I run it through a closet upstairs? I believe the chimney would be insulated (I'm talking about a metal prefab chimney). Are there any special considerations as to where it can go thru the 2nd floor? (other than finding a place in the floor and ceiling where I don't run into the beams that hold the ceiling up)

Thanks to anyone who cares to answer.

You will have to use the proper through ceiling boxes made for the chimney pipe and the closet is ok to run through, but, you must build a chase around the pipe in the closet, and recommended to box it off in attic also.

ChimneyQuest said:
Thanks for the help!

I'm assuming a "chase" is drywall to wall it off?

I'll have to ask if the dealer/installer will do this part or if I'll be on my own.

Yes 2x framing with drywall enclosing. make sure you leave enough clearance around the pipe.
Its at least 2" that I know of. It will most likely be extra, unless you do it yourself.

and the box off in the attic should be the same as in the closet?

Its not an attic one can stand up in. In fact I've never been up there (through the little panel in the closet) but
have been meaning to, to check the insulation.

Also whats the reason for walling off the pipe. Is it due to the pipe being hot?

Thanks again!

Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

Just to clarify, I need an insulation shield above the thru ceiling box in the attic. . .

That means a shield to keep the insulation off of the metal chimney?

or a shield of insulation to insulate the chimney?

Also, what do you think? Is it well advised to go the trouble of going thru both stories plus attic or is it just as good to go out the wall and up on the exterior? I see so many promo pictures of stovepipe going through the wall rather than up.

Or up through a part on the front of the house where it is only 1 story?

ChimneyQuest said:
Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

Just to clarify, I need an insulation shield above the thru ceiling box in the attic. . .

That means a shield to keep the insulation off of the metal chimney?
Correct

or a shield of insulation to insulate the chimney?

Also, what do you think? Is it well advised to go the trouble of going thru both stories plus attic or is it just as good to go out the wall and up on the exterior? I see so many promo pictures of stovepipe going through the wall rather than up.
Interior will always draft better than exterior. Plus adding elbows has doesn't help draft either.
If you have the space and can do it, go straight up inside.

Or up through a part on the front of the house where it is only 1 story?
You can do this, but if there is any wall within 10' of the chimney pipe, you will have to go high enough to meet the 2-3-10 rule.

Got it.

Well space is definitely an issue as our rooms are all fairly small but
given the need to have best draft and given the desire to keep things looking best from the curb
(the 1 story chimney likely would be within 10' of the upper story so it would be awkwardly tall and in front)
it definitely seems best to put the chimney up through both stories and have it showing only way up on top.

This certainly limits our options for stove placement and increases our cost but I trust we'll be happiest in the long run.
Those who know continue to discourage the easy out and up (the side) solution.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.