Newbie with Englander 24-jc ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wainwright63

Jul 19, 2015
Concord, NC
Hello,
I am a new member to the forum, but I've been reading the threads on this site for the past few months trying to learn all i could. I am new to wood stoves and heating with wood in general. I recently (4 months ago) bought a new house. Installed in the fireplace was a Englander 24-jc. I have been burning for the past week and just now discovered how the Cat works. Up until tonight I've just been burning with the bypass open ( thinking it was just a damper door). My first question is, is it harmful to my cat to burn this way? Not sure why i would ever need to burn in such a way again, just more curious. Secondly, what can/should i expect for burn time on a full load at low to medium air intake? I am burning seasoned oak. And lastly, i know it's not ideal but can i get away with burning less than ideally seasoned wood with the cat ignited? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Status
Not open for further replies.