Newbie with fisher baby bear and englander 24? and questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceisasolid

Jan 3, 2011
North Central Idaho
Greetings,

I have been reading this site and have some questions if some would answer.

I recently moved to the snowy intermountain west and decided that country living is for me. My home was previously heated with a wood stove and I am planning on returning it to its former glory due to recent power outages leaving my home (1800 sq ft) cold for 8+ hours. I have a smaller guest cottage about 600 sq ft. I have been reading about wood stoves and have one in the guest home- soap stone type- which burns out after 6 hours.

I ran across a Fisher Baby Bear for $225 and an Englander 24-fc124-ac (has the blower) for $275. I have been reading about the Englander stove but cannot find specific info on this non-glass door model which has a horse shoe on the front. Both stoves are in pretty good shape with no rust in the Fisher and minimal surface rust on the Englander. My uncle has a similar model Englander that has a 14+ hour burn time.

As I read more about stoves, I am concerned that I may have acted too rashly due to EPA ratings. I plan on the the Fisher for the guest home and hope to get 8+ hours of burn time out of it.

In regards to the Englander, are there restrictions that I should be aware of? I have buyers for both stoves should they not pan out as I would like.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• baby bear.jpg
    baby bear.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 854
  • englander stove.jpg
    englander stove.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 5,484
learned a bit about these stoves today. Mike at England Stove Works was gracious enough to entertain my questions.

Lessons learned:

Englander 24 AC- decent stove heats to 2200 Sq Ft and meets EPA guidlines- built in 1991 (its in pretty good shape too).

Fisher Baby Bear- probably will need to wait for my equipment shed to be enclosed or my garage to be enlarged.

I have an 1980's model Heartstone II in my guest cottage that will probably work better that the Fisher for its purposes- its installed currently.

Biggest problem now is the cost of new prefab chimney pipe for running up the house from the main floor through the roof of my 2 level home- at about $90 per 3 feet and the cost of the T box for outside plus install. Any leads on a reliable wholesaler of stove pipe? It is going to out of the wall to outside and then through the roof via the soffet. Any help would be appreciated.

-IIAS

after reading more about pipe installs, I am considering placing the chimney pipe in the house and running it into a seldom used closet out the roof in the second floor and through the roof for an inhouse pipe. Better drafting? More efficient? Less smoke in the house? Heck, I am a bit confused about the "right" install. Any advice? Any?

Status
Not open for further replies.