newbie with new stove..... the first fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schoondog

Feeling the Heat
Aug 17, 2008
dutchess county, n.y.
I've been watching and listening for a while now and thought it time to write. New US Stove 6039I delivered this mornin and installed her today. Lignetic pellets. Lit right off. Impressed with the first 1.5 hours of burn time. House got pretty warm !!!!! About 135 deg. output. Just wanted to get the paint hot and burn off the oil. Just could'nt wait to see the fire dance!! I haven't burned wood for years, now I can't wait for the first cold snap. Thanks for creating a fine place to get info. I have noticed that no one really talks much about the US stoves here, but it was one of the only ones I could find ( inserts) within a resonable time and with out beaking the bank. Anyone else out there using one of these stoves?

I also have the same stove as you. This will be my first year using it. I do know 2 other people who have this stove and have had no problems with it (one has owned if for over 5 year, the other 3 years). They heat their entire house with this stove. One has a ranch and the other a 2 story. Am looking forward to seeing it work. Ours is still sitting in the barn, waiting for huband to hook it up. He is a last minute person, so I am trying not to pressure him. I am going to do my first burn outside, before bringing it into the house. I also have 4 tons of pellets stored, and this should do me for the season. I did contact US Stove about a thermostate, did it by live email chat and they responded right back, so hope their service will always be this prompt, and accurate.

schoondog said:
I've been watching and listening for a while now and thought it time to write. New US Stove 6039I delivered this mornin and installed her today. Lignetic pellets. Lit right off. Impressed with the first 1.5 hours of burn time. House got pretty warm !!!!! About 135 deg. output. Just wanted to get the paint hot and burn off the oil. Just could'nt wait to see the fire dance!! I haven't burned wood for years, now I can't wait for the first cold snap. Thanks for creating a fine place to get info. I have noticed that no one really talks much about the US stoves here, but it was one of the only ones I could find ( inserts) within a resonable time and with out beaking the bank. Anyone else out there using one of these stoves?
I did some research on that stove myself and was going to make it my back up if I did not get the Quad I ordered. I read a lot of pretty good reviews out on the web about it. I was going to get one from Northern Tool. I got my Quad after all so I did not buy it but its seemed like a good choice to me. Best of luck with it and let us know how it works out for you.

Daisy, I'm going to install a thermostat on mine too. Glad to hear of someone who has had good luck with this brand of stove. Boston, good luck with your Quad, they sure have rave reviews here. My local dealer sells them, but none in stock until after Jan.09.

I just finished installing mine today. I took about 4 hrs to complete. Sealed all the connections with high temp RTV and checked for any leaks in the gas flow. I did a pre
burn on the back of my truck for three hours with tractor supply pellets. They worked great, One problem with the 6039 is the outlet from the flue is only 11 1/2 inches from the floor. If you have baseboard heat as I do, you will have to lift the stove 4 inches above the floor to clear the baseboard, or find a location where there isn't a window or baseboard. You can use a 90 but your only allowed two, and I did want to see the flue pipe in the house. I ended up making a 4" granite hearth over wonderboard. It came out great.

I did a burn today to try out walmart pellets (Pennington). They burn ok and wasn't as bad as some people claim on the net. They are longer than TSC and do make a little more ash but not as bad as I expected. So, I wont go crazy buying a lot more, but they do work. Here is a photo of the complete installation.

Attachments

• US STOVE 6039.jpg
    US STOVE 6039.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,121
Nice looking stove and hearth.

Beautiful installation.

Yea, the exhaust on the insert is even lower, you must put the clean out tee at an angle, which is a problem on my application due to the way my fire place angles in the rear. I may pull mine back out and make a hearth to raise the stove a few inches to give me more room, by cutting down the angle. Right now working on insulating the attic to keep the heat thats gonna pour out of this baby in my house!! I like your hearth, and if time permits I'm going to attempt making one. Good luck with the stove and nice to see someone else with a US Stove.

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this question? On the 6039 you can hook up a thermostat to run the stove back to min. This is a sort of turning off the stove.

If will run on (#1 Temp) & (#1 Blower) then back to what ever it was set at. This is what Ive been told, however I can't seem to find how to wire it up. So if anyone knows could they please post it. Thank in advance

USSC makes decent stoves, they compete with us in the market we share but i still have respect for their product line, met a bunch of their folks down in atlanta last HPBA (the layout they had looked like a baseball diamond and they all wore baseball uniforms (after a fashion)) , i got a chuckle out of it , and found once i met them they were pretty good folks. i see nothing wrong with their product line or their service which i have been told is quite good as well.

Snovelvet,
I plan on installing a t-stat on my insert. Haven't had much time to research yet, but I saw 2 spade connectors on rear of the control panel. I also saw a t-stat on the US Stove web site and I believe the part # is WT47 and the cost was $18.00 I have had good luck talking to the folks at the factory so far, I will be calling them with questions shortly. I think I want a programmable t-stat though. And when I called them asking about t-stat compatability before I purchased they explained that the stove would go to lowest setting when temperature was satified, but will not turn off. This makes sense since stove is not auto start. Of course it will ramp up if temp calls for it. Good Luck !! Let us know what you find out.

Schoondog

Attachments

• mystove.jpeg.JPG
    mystove.jpeg.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 831
Snovelvet,
I plan on installing a t-stat on my insert. Haven't had much time to research yet, but I saw 2 spade connectors on rear of the control panel. I also saw a t-stat on the US Stove web site and I believe the part # is WT47 and the cost was $18.00 I have had good luck talking to the folks at the factory so far, I will be calling them with questions shortly. I think I want a programmable t-stat though. And when I called them asking about t-stat compatability before I purchased they explained that the stove would go to lowest setting when temperature was satified, but will not turn off. This makes sense since stove is not auto start. Of course it will ramp up if temp calls for it. Good Luck !! Let us know what you find out.

Schoondog

Here is the quick answer, look for BC3 & BC4 they should be a black jumper. Remove this jumper and install your T-stat there. You need to check your firmware
and see if it is 34 this should be the latest revision. You can do this by unplugging the stove and watch the first numbers that come up.

Mario

Where did the design for US STOVE 6039 come from? I found and interesting post on IBURNCORN forum. From what I can see the design of the Magnum Conntryside
3500P is basically the same as the US stove 6039. I will post the two photo see if you can tell which one is the 6039?????

Attachments

• Countrysiderightside-1.jpg
    Countrysiderightside-1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 698
  • Rightside.jpg
    Rightside.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 687
Status
Not open for further replies.