Newbie with Pellet question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wwburning

Jan 26, 2008
West Warwick RI
Hello. New guy here in West Warwick, RI who's going to be burning pellets in a Harman p61a-2. Stove should be installed in the next week. Here's the question. Currently tractor supply is selling "premier pellets" from Canada @211 a ton pick up. Do any of you have any experience with these pellets? What about the local Narragansett pellets? Any insight would be helpful. Thanx, Chris.

Either way I would get just a few bags and make sure you like them before buying a bunch.

Definitely just buy 4-5 bags and burn them first to see if you like them. It seems all stoves are different and pellets burn differently in each.

No. The bag says premier pellets. Red, brown and white. Back of bag has a panel all about the love-less ash vacs....... Pellets say made in CANADA. The bag almost looks like a pic I've seen of "Appalacian pellets" on one of the pellet distibutors websites.

As others have mentioned, you will need to try out a few different brands
yourself to find your favorite. Some people love certain brands, while others
hate them so it is difficult to say buy these.

Learn from my experience - try a few bags out before you end up with a ton of pellets that suck.

You will be a new pellet stove owner
so you have nothing to compare them to
and you can't rely on someone else's
experience.
You may want to buy 5 bags of at least 4
different brands. Go through each
brand completely before trying the next.
Even doing that, you are new to burning
so you may not even notice much of
a difference until you become fully acquainted
with the stove which may take some time.

wwburning said:
Hello. New guy here in West Warwick, RI who's going to be burning pellets in a Harman p61a-2. Stove should be installed in the next week. Here's the question. Currently tractor supply is selling "premier pellets" from Canada @211 a ton pick up. Do any of you have any experience with these pellets? What about the local Narragansett pellets? Any insight would be helpful. Thanx, Chris.

Chris,

I'm in North Attleboro. My wife is from West Warwick, actually.

Check out pelletsales.com when you're ready to make a larger order. The larger the order, the lower the delivery charge. I've found their prices are as good if not better delivered as local stores without delivery. They sell many different brands of pellets, mostly premium. I've gotten 2 different brands from them, both good.

They deliver to your door in wrapped pallets.

Status
Not open for further replies.