Newbie with venting ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtmikey

Nov 29, 2012
We are considering the purchase of a pellet stove. We intend to place the pellet stove, centered, along a side wall in our front living room on the first floor of a cape. The side wall backs up to an attached garage. There is an AC vent directly above this location. Distance from the center of that wall to the front wall is about 6'.

Venting into the garage then out the front wall is an option but not liking the look of that on the front of my house. I haven't even bothered showing her pictures of that sort of termination. I know what her answer will be.

Our best option, to me, seems to be going into the garage and up, with two offsets, and through the garage roof.

I've included three pics that, I hope, will make clear our working conditions. The first just shows the planned location of the stove. The second, from the side of the garage, shows the vent rise and the offset needed to clear the ac vent. The last, from the rear of the house, shows the second offset needed to clear some of the ac ductwork and to also clear the side wall of the second floor of the house.

We are on Long Island. The total length of vent will be around 15' so it will be 4". I guess my main questions is does this look good? Also. I am familiar with the code requirements for wood stoves, 10' and 2' etc. Are there similar codes for pellet stoves or is it just according to the manufacturer? Please, let me know what I am overlooking. Thanks.

20121129_111715.jpg20121129_111900.jpg20121129_112009.jpg

The stove manual governs.

I am a little unsure of the need for two offsets or exactly where on the roof section the vent will penetrate.

Would you please place the A and B markers from the first image onto the third image.

Thanks for replying. I'll try to clarify as best I can. Pic 1 is an overhead shot with the front of the house at the bottom. Pic 2 is a side elevation and pic 3 is a rear elevation shot.

This first offset is to clear the ac vent that is located directly above where we intend to place the stove. I suppose I can either do this as soon as I vent through the living room wall into the garage or anywhere below the ac vent?

The second offset is to clear some ac ductwork in the garage and to bring the stove vent away from the second story wall. The expected penetration through the garage roof is about 3' to the rear of the peak and 3' to 4' away from the second floor wall.

This project began as a wood burning stove. The height and clearance requirements for a chimney made it difficult to incorporate to our home. My main concern with venting the pellet stove has been the clearances when projecting through the roof.

I hope these help.

20121129_111900.jpg20121129_112009.jpg

You need to keep the number of bends in the venting down, as well as the length of any horizontal or angled runs.

It looks like 4" vent is going to be required.

Now what are you planning to do in the garage so you won't inadvertently hit the venting, or to support it, or if code there requires to isolate it from the garage?

I'd do the turn up at the clearance distance the vent needs where it enters the garage then turn below the the a/c stuff and then turn straight up and out as soon as you are past the a/c stuff no angled runs and as short a horizontal run as possible it allows wall supports for the vertical pipe in the garage and for the horizontal run.

You should use two double clean out tees this will allow access to the sideways L shaped section from the bottom and from the ceiling level of the garage hopefully I'm not headed into a crash and bang with garage door system.

Adapter, thimble, through wall section. double tee, straight sections, 90 degree elbow, straight section, double tee, straight section (correct passthroughs) likely still more straight section, vertical termination cap your EVL will be over 15 just because the elbow and and two tees add up to 15. Your total EVL will be over 20.

A stove manual check is needed to be absolutely certain if a 3" vent should be attempted.

A few days ago your reply would have made my head spin. I guess it's a testament to this forum that I understand it now.

I checked some clearances and looked through the manual of a particular stove. A buddy has an Avalon Astoria and loves it. The wife likes the look. I like the large hopper. There's potential there...

I've got 10" between inside garage wall and garage track. That's a tight one. I have about 13" from garage door face to underside of garage ceiling. I know from the Astoria manual I need at least 12" above a roof and 2' from the second floor exterior wall (this was the one clearance measurement I was really looking for). All areas that the vent will run are clear of obstructions, other than the aforementioned ac ducts.

4" venting is a given. I hadn't considered the second tee. I like that idea. I have to research the NYS fire codes related to pellet stoves. I haven't come across any local codes, yet, that would give me cause for concern.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.