Newbie Wood Burning Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wilbwworker

Nov 6, 2011
Massachusetts
Hello All,
I am not new to wood burning for heat. My father had a Vermont Castings back in the 70's that we heated with exclusively. As the only male child I had the task of Chopping/Splitting/Stacking every stick we burnt. Plus the old man made me start a fire on Thanksgiving and it couldn't go out until sometime in March.

However I am new to inserts. I have an 1800 sq ft Dutch Colonial and a beautiful fireplace wtih a raised hearth. I am in the market for a wood burning insert that will be supplementary heat. I would like to buy something that looks nice and throws off some heat. I have looked at the Jotul Kennebec and some of the Regency products. However I am open to anything.

My fireplace opening is an arch if that matters

Can someone point me in the right direction based on experience.

Not sure you can change the title, but you should mention the arched fireplace. There are a few stoves out there with the arch but I am not sure which one.

Welcome to the forums, Wil)

Floor plan, current wood supply?

Like Johnny 5, need more input :)

I popped an Osburn into my fireplace. I don't have anything to compare it to but overall, I am satisfied. As for the arch...forget it. You'll never find a stock surround to match the arch. Mine is open now. I just covered the liner connection with some bent SS painted in high-heat, satin black to match the stove. I'm hoping to have a steel worker create a piece of art for me to fill the gap.

Attachments

• DSC_2363 (Medium).jpg
    DSC_2363 (Medium).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 221
Status
Not open for further replies.