NEWBIE WOODBURN’IN FOOL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MASTERELECTRICIAN

May 28, 2009
Ellington, Connecticut
I have aquired a Jotul Fireplace 8 with a date code of 0-1-84 and yes I am a newbie . I have the perfect fireplace with a large hearth and 60 inch wide X 7'6" tall,mantle free brick wall. I am looking for installation information and advise to start :)

Get dry wood now and stack it so that the prevailing wind can blow through it.

Have a sweep thoroughly clean, inspect are report to you on the condition of the chimney. Installation sounds like it should be fairly straight forward.

Is this a freestanding Jotul Model 8 stove? If so, you'll need to decide whether the stove sits inside the firebox vented straight up or if it sits slightly in front of the firebox for better heating and vents out the rear with a short piece of pipe and then an elbow or cleanout tee connected to the liner.

Thank you for the reply, we are starting with the wood and I will call the sweep today. It will be easier to service out side of the fireplace as the hearth is plenty sized. Is the T for cleaning? Inspection? Does anyone have a copy of the Operator/Install manual from this era ?

You're no wood-burnin' fool! The fools are the ones who will enslave themselves for oil heat.

Are you familiar with insulatuion options of the liner, and the block off plate just inside the fireplace near the damper?

MASTERELECTRICIAN said:
I have aquired a Jotul Fireplace 8 with a date code of 0-1-84 and yes I am a newbie . I have the perfect fireplace with a large hearth and 60 inch wide X 7'6" tall,mantle free brick wall. I am looking for installation information and advise to start :)

Best advice I can give was already given . . . get your firewood as soon as possible because "seasoned" fire wood rarely is truly seasoned.

Incidentally, my wife grew up in Ellington and her mother currently still lives there on Newell Hill Road . . . my brother-in-law meanwhile lives in Stafford Springs . . . although I think he likes Maine (mainly for the snowmobiling) but the work and pay (he does construction) just doesn't compare to the wages up here.

Hey I'm in Stafford Springs :) Howdy, neighbor :)

I'm guessing here as I have no familiarity w/ mid-80's Jotuls, but I think you wanna be ready for a lot of wood consumption with a 25 yr old stove. Nowhere near as efficient as today's EPA-rated stoves.

And Dave's Logging in Stafford has the best rates for cut/split/delivered cordwood. But you won't get anything truly "seasoned" from him, most likely.

Edthedawg said:
Hey I'm in Stafford Springs :) Howdy, neighbor :)

I'm guessing here as I have no familiarity w/ mid-80's Jotuls, but I think you wanna be ready for a lot of wood consumption with a 25 yr old stove. Nowhere near as efficient as today's EPA-rated stoves.

And Dave's Logging in Stafford has the best rates for cut/split/delivered cordwood. But you won't get anything truly "seasoned" from him, most likely.

There's some good pizza in your town . . . every time I visit my brother-in-law I try to make it a point to get some pizza at the downtown place with the Greeks -- Stafford House of Pizza I think it is? My brother-in-law lives on Stafford Street (I think) . . . it's the street near the old schoolhouse.

Stafford House is great pizza - I live walking distance from there. We're liking Village Pizza (head west about a mile or so on 190, next to the Dunkin Donuts) a lot too. They just changed hands and their pizza is out of this world. Highly recommend the Taco Pizza. It's no Cesari's from Knoebels (Elysburg, PA amusement park - award-winning best park food anywhere in the country) pie but it's a good substitute.

Stafford Street is way up on the hill east of "downtown". It's the original settlement of the town, so one of the oldest places. Not sure if this is what you mean, but the triangular park at the south end of the street has a gazebo and a one-room schoolhouse. I'm in the Historical Society and helped restore, relocate, and re-build the schoolhouse. It used to sit way up in the NW corner of town and had been turned into a residence. We had to dismantle it completely and truck it down to its present site for re-assembly.

Wow you guys are fantastic! I :coolsmile: am looking for an installation manual as I ready the wood and stack it I would like to learn the proper installation technicquies

The manual for a particular stove will cover its installation specs, however wont discuss many things concerning the chimney set up. Go up top to "Hearth.com Quick Navigation", pull down menu and click on "Main Information Articles". This will have many areas of concern you can become more familiar with if you have not already found it.

MASTERELECTRICIAN said:
Wow you guys are fantastic! I :coolsmile: am looking for an installation manual as I ready the wood and stack it I would like to learn the proper installation technicquies

I have a manual for the series 8 in the archives. pm me your email or fax info, i can try to get it to you

Edthedawg said:
Stafford House is great pizza - I live walking distance from there. We're liking Village Pizza (head west about a mile or so on 190, next to the Dunkin Donuts) a lot too. They just changed hands and their pizza is out of this world. Highly recommend the Taco Pizza. It's no Cesari's from Knoebels (Elysburg, PA amusement park - award-winning best park food anywhere in the country) pie but it's a good substitute.

Stafford Street is way up on the hill east of "downtown". It's the original settlement of the town, so one of the oldest places. Not sure if this is what you mean, but the triangular park at the south end of the street has a gazebo and a one-room schoolhouse. I'm in the Historical Society and helped restore, relocate, and re-build the schoolhouse. It used to sit way up in the NW corner of town and had been turned into a residence. We had to dismantle it completely and truck it down to its present site for re-assembly.

Hmmm . . . I'll have to keep the "new" place in mind when I visit my brother-in-law again.

And yup . . . he lives about a mile or so on Stafford Street from the Triangle and the schoolhouse . . . nice job on the schoolhouse by the way . . . I didn't get a chance to check it out up close and personal though.

Guys, as I research this my local jotul dealer taught me that the UL 737 rateing may or may not be acceptable, but to check with the Building Department first. Thanks to everyone who supplied me with Series 8 manuals, but the stove I have has a draft wheel on the front door and is probably a # 8 and not a series 8.( I mave have the orgional) heh,heh...

Status
Not open for further replies.