newby.. building a hearth for gas stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shelbydog25

Jan 17, 2007
After surfing the web, found this site and it looks perfect for my question(s). I am finishing the basement and adding a gas stove (free standing - vermont Castings type) using manufactured stone. My question is I'm planning on framing the hearth with 2x4 12'' OC with 3/4" OSB. On top of that I'm planning on using 1" flagstone for the hearth (maybe less if you all tell me it's too much/heavy). Have a couple of questions:

1 Any need to use wonderboard/durorock? for fire stopping? I see most manufacturers
require 3/8", seems 1/2 or up in stone would suffice with no duro?

2. do I need to keep 16" of hearth from the carpeted floor to the open door area? Seems since
it's a gas stove, I wouldn't need. I'm planning on making it 30" deep (stove is 23-26"
deep).

3. should I leave an "overhang" of the flagstone to accommodate the manufactured stone underneath?

thanks...

shelbydog25 said:
3. should I leave an "overhang" of the flagstone to accommodate the manufactured stone underneath?

thanks...

Not sure if you're going for something like this only with flagstone (we used tile), but they did the stone first on the walls and the face of the hearth--then layed the tile. There is a slight overhang, but not much. Picture below.

Attachments

• 100_0170.JPG
    100_0170.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 472
CountryGal said:
shelbydog25 said:

thanks...

Not sure if you're going for something like this only with flagstone (we used tile), but they did the stone first on the walls and the face of the hearth--then layed the tile. There is a slight overhang, but not much. Picture below.

Hi CG

Where did you find that flag stone?
I would like to get a pickup load for my sun room.

Thanks

Most gas stoves only are required to be on a non combustible, or wood floor. No carpet vinyl etc. They can go on a wooden floor. If carpet or vinyl exist, you can build or buy a hearth pad. It could be as simple as a unfinished 3/4" piece of plywood. Im sure you will make something nicer than that though! It would be required to be a minimum or the same width and length of the stove. There is no need for the 16" in front of the stove. See you manual just to verify your stove is not different.

If you provide us with the make and model of the stove, we can review what the manual states as being required.
From there correct recomendations can be made The reason for the front of the stove distance requirement is a lot of radiant heat comes threw the front glass and carpet has a lower flach point that oak or other wood. At this point without knowing what that stove tested to, we all are guessing

Thanks for all the replies.. it'll be the Vermont Castings Dutchwest

Stopped by my local brick yard and have a pretty good idea what needs to be done. I'll be using manufactured "river rock" with 2" flagstone on the hearth.. the stove dimensions are 26 wide x 16 deep (approximate). my hearth will be plenty big at 6 feet x 30" deep. they recommended raising the height of the hearth a few inches (normally 16-18 inches) for taller folks. So I'll set the height at around 19 inches (for anyone else framing their own).

thanks for the help. good info on this site.

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 349
Status
Not open for further replies.