Newby Intro to Hearth.com community

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2011
Southeast Iowa
New member here and would like to respectfully acknowledge the many knowledgeable old timers here. I have lurked here off and on for quite some time, and found this forum to be unusually friendly and surprisingly devoid of useless drivel. All in all, I say one of the more impressively run forums on the inter webs....

I have been cutting wood for money(?!#) for over 30 years now. I've logged and also owned a commercial tree care company. I guess you could say I am now semi-retired, although I still make a good chunk of my income doing tree work. Economic conditions prompted me to return to the wonderful world of wood heat recently. I figure that I am handling all this wood anyway, so I might as well use it to delete the heat bill.

After a nearly ten year hiatus from solid fuel heating, I had forgotten what a wonderful warm and happy thing it truly is. I am really enjoying the whole ritual, and it's good for the body AND soul. Seems like there are some cool (and very well-versed) members on here so I thought I would give this a whirl.

I nearly always learn something new, even though I have burned a giant crapload of wood in my lifetime. Hopefully, I will be able to be a useful and contributing member here. If nothing else, perhaps some will get a good chuckle from my redneck hillbilly world view. Looking forward to some fun and games around here!

'Til next time and warmest regards.......

What are you burning that wood in?

It's an old Lopi 380 that a buddy "loaned" me. I now like it so much, especially in my particular application, that I have told him he is never getting it back! Of course, now I have to PAY him for it....

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will be able to add to the treasure trove of insight and advice that this fine site has. It is always great to see someone new join in. I hope that you hang around and participate in some of the great discussions here. You will probably really like the "Gear" section as well considering your long time wood cutting experience. BTW it is always helpful to put your stove in your signature so that anytime you are giving/needing advice we know what you are burning in.

Welcome to the forum AB!

Ray

Welcome to the forum arborealbuffoon.

We always welcome folks here and you will be a nice addition with your knowledge. And I'll bet it does feel great getting back to wood heat. It is hard to imagine being without it around here. I go to other homes and about freeze. fwiw, I too once logged and also was a sawyer at a mill and also did some tree trimming. That was in my younger years but I still miss it.

Welcome to the forum . . . this truly is a good place with good people.

Status
Not open for further replies.