Newby with Outdoor Wood Fired Boiler Questions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaskaCub

Apr 4, 2008
Interior Alaska
Well the cost of heating a home here in Fairbanks Alaska has pretty much gone through the roof money wise. I must come up with a better plan than shelling out $ 6,000 + in heating oil each winter. I have a lot of questions but this is my primary one. Are most of the outdoor wood fired boilers pretty much the same? I found some for sale locally that are made in Western Canada by a company called Heat Innovations, that seems to be not too expensive at about $8300 delivered and whatever I have to pay a boiler guy to tie it in to my current plumbing and set it up lu sthey are big, it heats up to 5000 sq ft and and has a monster fire box at 60" long. Have any of you ever heard of these boilers? The other one that some guys are getting locally is made by Central Boiler and I hear good and bad about them. Any advice or input on the above boilers or any others would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the Boiler Room, AlaskaCub.

All outdoor wood boilers seem to follow the same basic design. You should check into wood gasifiers. They cost a bit more upfront, but burn less wood and do it without any smoke.

Never heard of Heat Innovations. Central Boiler seems to be one of the better outdoor boilers, but a gasifier is better in every way.

Status
Not open for further replies.