Newcomer and short-time pellet stove owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

natenkiki2004

Oct 10, 2009
North Idaho
I'm new to these forums and I'd like to pick the brain of a few pellet veterans. Had a Country (says Winslow on the manual) PS40 Stove installed a couple years back and it's definitely served it's purpose. Anyway, I came here looking for some recommendations and suggestions on a few things.

1. Is the PS40 a quality stove, how does it compare with other brands?
2. It was serviced (poorly) by the company it was bought from and after the guy shoved a wire brush up the pipe and poked around for a bit, I noticed that there's smoke smell every time the stove is turned on. This didn't happen before the guy "serviced" the stove. I would go back on him but the company is rather poor and overcharges for what I would call, lacking service. While they do their job properly, I feel (even though I'm inexperienced) that I can clean and maintain the stove for cheaper and more effectively. He did come back out at a later time to replace the igniter (another question) and I asked him and he said that a joint is probably a little loose and that some high-temp silicone would fix it. Long story short, what would be some good high-temp silicone or possibly other material to seal the pipe up?
3. Since the stove was installed, the igniter has failed once. I was told that it is due to the thermostat calling for heat and turning the igniter on and off and wearing it out. I find this hard to believe and even if it's true, it would seem an easy fix to replace the control unit that calls for it since it shouldn't have to ignite a fire that's already going. Anyway, I found this igniter that looks identical to the one that was replaced here: http://woodheatstoves.com/country-pellet-stove-ignitor-whose-clamp-pips40-p-9319.html I'm thinking that price is pretty steep. Is that a normal price? Is there a better place to get it from? How fast do they usually "wear" out?
4. Is there a special type of chimney sweep that should be bought for pellet stove use? I've looked in the manual for lessons on how to clean it and I've cleaned the blower motor and all the usual stuff but I'm curious if theres oiling points for any of the parts. I didn't see anything in the manual and I'm just kinda curious.
5. Does anyone else live in northern Idaho and maybe know some of the prices around? What would be considered a "good" price per ton? I got 3 tons delivered a year or two back for $636 but it looks like they've gone up (along with everything else).

I think that covers my curiosity. Thanks in advance for any help that's provided.

1. can't comment...don't know anything about them

2. I'm sure you can clean the stove as well as the service guy. As for hi-temp silicone, most hardware stores, and Home Depot carry it.

3. Yes, some of the "on/off" stoves do go through ignitors fairly quickly, especially when using a thermostat hooked to them. I've heard members on here replacing the ignitors as soon as once a year, but others have never replaced one. I had a 4 yr old Astoria that still had the original ignitor when I sold it last month.

4. The best "sweep" that I have found and use, is called "the LintEater". They sell it in Lowes. It was originally meant for dryer vents, but since last year the manufacturer has found out that it works GREAT on pellet pipe. It uses a rotating brush hooked to flexible rods, and spun by an electric drill. I use it on my pipe, and the inside looks as close to new as your going to get. Do a search on this site for it, and you'll see posts for it. Goes for about $40 with a bunch of adapters, plus you can really use it to clean your dryer vent! LOL Here's a link to Northline Express...they sell it too:

www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.a...le&kw=5GA-RLE202&source=froogle&kw=5GA-RLE202

5. I've seen people on this forum in the midwest getting pellets for under $200/ton

natenkiki
Welcome to the forum! Wish I could help with your questions, but listen to Macman he gives great advice. I also wish I was back in Idaho... lived there a while ago in Post Falls. Loved it. Thinking of returning as my bro lives there. Lucky you!

Schoondog

Macman,

Will this sectional rod that attaches to your drill get you past a 90 degree turn in the pipe? I have a 90 that I have tried to get past with a flexible brush, and for the life of my I can not do it. I have even bent the rod. Spent at least an hour shoving and turning- everything I can think of. How do you get your brush past a 90 degree turn?

^^ Threadjacker :D

Anyway, thanks macman and schoondog. Is there a minimum temperature for a high-temp silicone? How about the price of the igniter in my original post, is that a normal/reasonable price? I will definitely look at getting the LintEater sometime soon. Again, thanks for your time and helpful advice :)

Sawduster said:
Macman,

Will this sectional rod that attaches to your drill get you past a 90 degree turn in the pipe? I have a 90 that I have tried to get past with a flexible brush, and for the life of my I can not do it. I have even bent the rod. Spent at least an hour shoving and turning- everything I can think of. How do you get your brush past a 90 degree turn?

Well, I won't say 100% that it will, as I don't have any 90's in my pipe, but the rod is a pretty flexible plastic.....I think it will work.

Or maybe hit the pipe from both ends (stove end and outlet end?)

natenkiki2004 said:
^^ Threadjacker :D

Is there a minimum temperature for a high-temp silicone? How about the price of the igniter in my original post, is that a normal/reasonable price? I will definitely look at getting the LintEater sometime soon. Again, thanks for your time and helpful advice :)

This is the silicone seal that I use: www.amazon.com/Rutland-Hi-Heat-Silicone-10-3Oz-76C/dp/B000DZBLNC/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

Yeah, the LintEater is a cool deal. One of the better things I've bought, that actually works better than you think it will.

As for the ignitor, yep, that's about the best $$ you're going to get.

natenkiki2004 said:
I'm new to these forums and I'd like to pick the brain of a few pellet veterans. Had a Country (says Winslow on the manual) PS40 Stove installed a couple years back and it's definitely served it's purpose. Anyway, I came here looking for some recommendations and suggestions on a few things.

1. Is the PS40 a quality stove, how does it compare with other brands?
2. It was serviced (poorly) by the company it was bought from and after the guy shoved a wire brush up the pipe and poked around for a bit, I noticed that there's smoke smell every time the stove is turned on. This didn't happen before the guy "serviced" the stove. I would go back on him but the company is rather poor and overcharges for what I would call, lacking service. While they do their job properly, I feel (even though I'm inexperienced) that I can clean and maintain the stove for cheaper and more effectively. He did come back out at a later time to replace the igniter (another question) and I asked him and he said that a joint is probably a little loose and that some high-temp silicone would fix it. Long story short, what would be some good high-temp silicone or possibly other material to seal the pipe up?
3. Since the stove was installed, the igniter has failed once. I was told that it is due to the thermostat calling for heat and turning the igniter on and off and wearing it out. I find this hard to believe and even if it's true, it would seem an easy fix to replace the control unit that calls for it since it shouldn't have to ignite a fire that's already going. Anyway, I found this igniter that looks identical to the one that was replaced here: http://woodheatstoves.com/country-pellet-stove-ignitor-whose-clamp-pips40-p-9319.html I'm thinking that price is pretty steep. Is that a normal price? Is there a better place to get it from? How fast do they usually "wear" out?
4. Is there a special type of chimney sweep that should be bought for pellet stove use? I've looked in the manual for lessons on how to clean it and I've cleaned the blower motor and all the usual stuff but I'm curious if theres oiling points for any of the parts. I didn't see anything in the manual and I'm just kinda curious.
5. Does anyone else live in northern Idaho and maybe know some of the prices around? What would be considered a "good" price per ton? I got 3 tons delivered a year or two back for $636 but it looks like they've gone up (along with everything else).

I think that covers my curiosity. Thanks in advance for any help that's provided.

1. Don't know about the PS40, but Consumer Reports gives an NPS40 good reviews.

2. You can do just as good a job at cleaning as the service guy. I use the leaf blower trick to clean out the exhaust and it works well. THere are special brushes and I think it even warns to use the proper brushes in my manual. It also warns to look out for the sensor installed in the pipel

3. My stove is only uses the ignitor if it shuts off and restarts, but that usually doesn't happen when it is cold.

4. Yes, there are special brushes, but as I said, I use a leaf blower with a vacuum attachment at the outlet of the stove exaust at the end of season and it works great.

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys :) Although, I do find it unsettling that nobody's mentioned that they've heard of Country/Whitfield pellet stoves, let alone my model the PS40... Oh well. Thanks again!

Just wanted to chime in... I have a Winslow PS40 and love it! I've had it for 4 years now and haven't had any problems with it... until lastnight. The igniter went out. No biggie... just used the old pellet gel fluid and lit it manually. Order new igniter from the net ($97).

Love the stove and would buy another one!

KC :)

Kelly NM said:
Just wanted to chime in... I have a Winslow PS40 and love it! I've had it for 4 years now and haven't had any problems with it... until lastnight. The igniter went out. No biggie... just used the old pellet gel fluid and lit it manually. Order new igniter from the net ($97).

Love the stove and would buy another one!

KC :)

Well, I'm brand new here, and also own a Winslow PS40, and guess what? My ignitor doesn't seem to be working! So, my question for Kelly is, where did you find it online for that price?

We've been using the stove non stop through two winters. It's served us well, and saved us a bundle compared to heating with propane. Can't complain at all.

Thanks for putting up with the newbie!

imacman said:
Son of Thunder said:
Well, I'm brand new here, and also own a Winslow PS40, and guess what? My ignitor doesn't seem to be working! So, my question for Kelly is, where did you find it online for that price?....

Welcome, son of thunder. Here's the ignitor for $97:

www.hvacpartsshop.com/h6005ignitiorwithhose.aspx

Well thanks! This forum has already helped warm our home. I just ordered that part, saving $30 over the only other place I found to buy it online. And earlier, I took an idea from Kelly and bought some pellet gel, so our home will stay nice and warm until the new ignitor arrives. Thanks again!

John

Status
Not open for further replies.