NewEnglander 25-PUF

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ddanis

Feb 6, 2008
Maine
I've been running this unit for a week(25 PUF). It seems to run good. I have it in my cellar, granite slabs and stone. The temp. can get to freezing on bitter cold days (like if it is 0 degrees F). I've insulated all cracks and have been able to keep the temp. @ 50F in the cellar. This keeps the floors warm, and that makes it easier to heat this house. The hopper holds 240lbs. I am looking for a balance and understanding of what to set the heat and the blower at. During the week I keep it at 7 heat and 7 blower. If I go away for the weekend I drop it to 3h 5b, just to be safe about ash build up. Any suggestions on a better balance. What do the settings actually do. The stove is new to me and this is my first post. If I seem a little windy forgive me. Thanks Dick

It looks like you could hook up a thermostat to that stove like I did to my stove. If you do that then you will not have to worry as much where you set your stove. It lets you set the high temp that the stove would run at when the thermostat calls for heat. When it gets up to temp it cuts back to the low number 1 setting. This works great! I have a fancy programable thermostat that can hold the temp in my basement to plus or minus 1'F.

I set my stove at 6 6. For my house this brings the temp up about 10F per hour until it reaches my set temp of 73F. For my little house this is enough to keep the upstairs livingroom 70 - 71F when it is around 30 outside. When it gets around 20 out I run 75F to keep it 70 - 71F upstairs.

You do not have to run a fancy programable thermostat. You can use a simple thermostat that is good for most any oil furnace. I do like the programable one because I can have the heat cut back at night when I don't need it to be so warm in the house. It gives you a lot of options to control the heat and save pellets when you do not need as much heat.

As you mentioned, insulating and sealing every hole you can find goes a long way to saving heat. I found a lot of places in my basement where air was getting in and sealed them up. With no heat it never goes below 50F but always drops back down to 50F after about 1 1/2 days with no heat. My next step is to insulate the cement walls and finish off the basement. This should help hold the temperature longer I hope. It should also let it get up to temp faster and get the heat upstairs quicker. Not needing to pre-heat the basement as much, should save pellets too.

Status
Not open for further replies.