Newer Breckwell lower auger bushing VS. old bronze Bushing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
I just discovered a lower auger bushing from a P22 FS pellet stove with the 1/2" diameter bushing that is much more shinny and a different color meaning it is definetly different from their old bushing.
Top bushing is the same shinny stuff too!
Looks like the older bushing has more copper in it which is more costly.
Is it cheaper to manufacture? Probably
Is it any better?

Pic 1-2 show old bushing on left and new bushing on right with and without the camera flash.

Looks like Aluminum-Bronze
If it is Aluminum-bronze then I have no data on longevity in a pellet stove.. Still it would be hard to believe Breckwell is spending MORE money in making their stoves????
However, there was a lot of sawdust leaking under it so it had to be changed. Stove does not look to old but I did not see an MFD under the hopper lid on the info tag??
See pic 3

Looks like copper may be better for pellet stoves!
Here is some info
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100319043602AAekEax

Excerpt
Copper provides a Lower coefficient of expansion and higher tensile strength!!

Any comments???

Attachments

• IMG_8232.JPG
    IMG_8232.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_8233.JPG
    IMG_8233.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_8234.JPG
    IMG_8234.JPG
    227.4 KB · Views: 95
I thought most of the auger bushings were brass ... Likely a less expensive part to manufacture than the original.

The old one on the left looks like a basic bronze bushing. I think they are formed from a powder form of material. The one on the right looks to be from a type of brass bar stock. There are many types of brass based material. Some are way better than others for a bearing material. So it's hard to say if is better. I would think they get them made by a screw machine house to keep their prices down. Just some input from a 40 year veteran machinist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.