Newer Harman P68 Installed then Error code

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gtj811

Oct 17, 2011
Northern RI
I just replaced my Englander pellet stove with an almost new Harman P68. Previous owner moved before putting the unit to much use. I have not hooked up the air intake yet as it was on the other side of the exhaust and needs to be redirected. Cleaned existing exhaust and then hooked up the stove. Worked well but it smelled a bit of smoke after a few hours. I shut it down and then used high temp silicone to seal the connections. Now when I try to run the unit, it starts for maybe 15 seconds and then flashes 3 times- ESP error code. Unplugged unit, checked the ESP and its clean. It still has the 3 flashing error. I'm sure it is something really dumb but I'm stumped and temps are dropping. Anyone else have this problem and some suggestions for a newbie to this forum? Appreciate the help in advance.

Looks like a real well built unit and I read the instructions at least 4 times looking for clues. Can't wait to get it working well.

3 blinks error code is esp and since you did what the manual said, I'm stumped. Hopefully someone else can help you out

Check the board to make sure the wires are connected. If there is still an issue, replace the probe.

Eric

I cleaned the stove and the exhaust is clean. Thought this was the issue. Still getting the error. How can I test the ESP probe? Not crimped and connected. Can I test with a multimter or override it? It looks new and the part is on back order. Gregg

You can not override the ESP it is the primary sensor for the control board.

A Harman tech might have information about the resistance of a known good esp, however even if the resistance you measure is the same as a known good esp that doesn't mean that yours is good, the ESP has to provide the proper response over a large temperature range.

You need to get a new ESP.

smwilliamson said:
Your stove should have a red cable. If the new probe you get had a black cable, you will need to turn dip switch #5 to the off position. I'm not sure if you can splice in a new probe on a red wire...check with your dealer selling the probe and post their answer please.

funny you should mention this. the red probe was sort of short lived, but, if the previous owner swapped out a black for a red, or vice versa, you will get the 3 blinks.
the ESP is variable capacitance, measured in micro-farads...I do not know the scale. Sorry.

The red probe replacement part arrived yesterday. Unscrewed the panel and the old probe and installed. Viola, the unit stayed off in the "off" position and fired right up. Ran it for a few hours and just restarted the unit this morning. Working beautifully. Thanks to all for the great advice and confidence needed to fix this myself! I did not see any dip switches on the control panel. :)

GreggT said:
The red probe replacement part arrived yesterday. Unscrewed the panel and the old probe and installed. Viola, the unit stayed off in the "off" position and fired right up. Ran it for a few hours and just restarted the unit this morning. Working beautifully. Thanks to all for the great advice and confidence needed to fix this myself! I did not see any dip switches on the control panel. :)

The switches are on the computer control board. They are there.

Status
Not open for further replies.