Newly (almost) installed PE Summit Classic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

W_MaineGal

Oct 25, 2009
Western Maine
We're just getting our stove pipe adjusted and we'll be ready to fire up our new Summit. We are replacing an Efel Kamina which kept us plenty cozy but was a huge wood hog. I'm really looking forward to not having to feed a woodstove every couple hours. We live in a drafty old farmhouse, I've been wondering just how much, if any, of the cold air that is being pulled up through our floors can be attributed to our woodstove. The room that has the most problem is the kitchen, which is also the location of the stove. I'm wondering if piping in an outside air supply to our stove would eliminate some of the cold being drawn up through our floors from the uninsulated crawl space. Any advice?

Do we need to remove the 4" knock out plate on the back of the ash box??

W_MaineGal said:
We're just getting our stove pipe adjusted and we'll be ready to fire up our new Summit. We are replacing an Efel Kamina which kept us plenty cozy but was a huge wood hog. I'm really looking forward to not having to feed a woodstove every couple hours. We live in a drafty old farmhouse, I've been wondering just how much, if any, of the cold air that is being pulled up through our floors can be attributed to our woodstove. The room that has the most problem is the kitchen, which is also the location of the stove. I'm wondering if piping in an outside air supply to our stove would eliminate some of the cold being drawn up through our floors from the uninsulated crawl space. Any advice?

Do we need to remove the 4" knock out plate on the back of the ash box??
Dont know if I can help, but I will try. How big is your house?? And how far is you stove from your furthest room to heat? You may be fine just by using inside air. If that is anything like the insert (which they probably are the same other than yours has more surface area exposed to the room) it will heat more than you thought. At least my insert does. My house is a mid-entry about 1600 square ft. The insert is downstairs and it puts out the heat!! 75 downstairs and 70 in the furthest bedroom upstairs. And it is a nice "even" type heat, not too hot near the insert, and not too cool far away. I do have the outside air on my insert. Not sure if it would have really made a difference or not (still learnin' myself). But I think this unit will compensate for any air leakage coming in your house. I also noticed that when my insert is around 650- 700 degrees, I shut the air all the way( which really isnt off just allows a small amount of air into the firebox) and the fire goes strong nearly all night. So that should tell you how much air is really needed to run the stove, providing it is built the same as my insert, which I believe it is. Hope this helps!! If not I am sure someone has the same unit and can tell you better what you need to know.

Thanks for the speedy reply. I'll get back to my original question when I have a bit more time. We're all hooked up now- we knocked out the 4" plate on the back for indoor combustion air but we don't seem to be getting any. The smoke is just waterfalling down the front of the window. If we open the ash disposal system lever it seems to get the needed air. Underneath on the right front there is a little box with a round hole that seems to have a spring loaded cover. Is that supposed to do anything? The only thing the air control lever in the front does is slide a plate back and forth over what I'm guessing is another air intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.