Newly installed Jotul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwhjr

Feb 22, 2008
RI
We just had a Jotul 400 installed in our fireplace. Any suggestions on getting more heat into the rest of the house.
Thanks for all the information I have already received from the members !

What temperature are you seeing on the stovetop? What is the layout of the house?

What temperature are you seeing on the stovetop? What is the layout of the house?
image.jpg
I forgot. About 500 degrees. The house is a 2000 ft. colonial. With the stove sitting far back in the fireplace I was hoping there was something I could do to get more heat to the rest o the house.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
2000 sqft from an semienclosed instal location may be asking a bit much of a 400..

What are you doing now? Fans? Dog tails?

most people find that placing a small fan, at the far end of the house, blowing cold, floor level air BACK to the stove, helps a lot to even out the temperature of the home.

another thing to consider, and is very important.. how much heat are you loosing? How is your insulation? gaps around windows doors outlets etc? Do you have a block off plate, or at least some insulation stuffed up around the chimney where your pipe is run?

Reactions: Michael Golden
The Castine is a medium sized stove and perhaps too small to heat a large colonial in RI. 500F is on the low side for the stove. You will want to run it at closer to 600-650F to get more heat. That will affect burn times of course. Expect to reload every 4-5 hrs during the daytime.

Is there a block-off plate just above the stove? If not, that is the first order of business. You are going to need to capture every drop of heat.

Where is the stove room located in relation to the rest of the house and how open is this room to the other rooms? Once we understand that we can offer suggestions. If you can post a simple sketch of the floorplan that will help.

Last edited:
It looks like from the pic that the stove is pushed all the way into the fireplace one thing that will help is to bring it as far as you can out on to the hearth. Second problem is that the 400 is to small for a 2000 sqft house it is about a 1200-1400 sqft heater.

Besides the block-off plate, if a blower is available for that stove, it may help get the heat out and around more. If that fireplace is on an outside wall, you're probably losing heat through the masonry.

Stove is too small, I had the same problem with my castine heating a 1000 square foot ranch. Couple of thing I did before redoing my fireplace (see link below) was installed a block off plate with 2 " of rockwool insulation above it. I bet a decent amount of your heat is going up the chimney. Secondly I would bring the the stove farther out onto the hearth. Next year upgrade to the oslo.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/more-heat-longer-burn-times.116283/#post-1568498

If it is relatively easy to move the heat around the house I would go larger than an Oslo, go all the way to an F600 or other 3 cu ft stove.

We can tell this better once we see a sketch of the floor plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.