Newly installed Napoleon 1402 insert smoking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdb153

Jun 6, 2008
PA
I just had my insert installed professionally today. I started with the break in fire and smoke is just pouring out of the thing. I had it open all the way, door closed and smoke is coming out from underneath the stove at the draft control. How could this be? Is it not drafting properly up the chimney? My firebox is very deep and they had to use two 90's to make the connection to the liner. He actually didn't think that he'd be able to get it in without have a piece made up but was able to do it with the 90s.

Talk about frustrating, I've been delayed on getting the unit since Oct. and now that I finally have it and installed I can't use it. I'm going to call the company tomorrow that did the install tomorrow but was hoping someone would have some advice tonight.

Thanks!

Something I've read on this list: Did your installers perchance stuff something inside the liner to block the air off while they were doing the install and forget to take it out?

And, yes, opening a door or a window will help your draft if draft is your problem.

Shari

Could the smoke be from the paint curing?

I had the window open fully with a fan in front because the smoke was so bad. Also, I doubt they put anything in the pipe, they were done pretty fast and it was like 60 degrees today.

This wasn't paint either, it was full smoke. The fire didn't even have a chance to build when it started smoking, it was immediate.

My neighbor and I both bought the same exact stove and had the installer do both today. He isn't have any problems with his, he's now getting the paint smell.

Could it be a drafting problem with the elbows?

Two nineties right off the stove is not the best way to induce good draft. Usually a single 45 and a bend in the flex is enough and it creates a gentler slope.

Is this an exterior chimney to boot?

Sorry, my post was a bit of a "drive by posting".

Opening the window isn't to let the smoke out the window, it is to encourage the flue to draft.

With the warm temps, you likely have a poor draft going, or even a reversed flow in the flue.

Get yourself a piece of paper, and light it, and hold it near the flue outlet in the firebox - does it draw up the flue, or blow back at you? If it blows at you, you have a flow reversal on the go, if it linger, weak draft.

The other thought is wet wood - if your neighbor has his going, try some small splits of his. Let us know what you find out.

Ok, so I tried lighting some paper and really couldn't tell so I opened the window and started a small fire with some sticks and a piece or two of fatwood. I'm not getting any smoke like I was before. I guess I'll try closing the window and see what happens.

Let me ask you guys this? Is it typical to have to open a window to get it going?

Someone asked if it was an external chimney, it is. I also wasn't using wet wood, it was just a few sticks and newspaper, no time to put any splits on. I'm wondering if the two 90s are going to be a chronic problem, should I suggest that they find a different solution?

Just a question: Did you have an insulated liner installed?

You say you and the neighbor just had the same stove installed and neighbor is not having any problems. Are all equations the same? You have an exterior chimney, does your neighbor? You have two 90 degree elbows, does your neighbor? Is your wood just as dry as your neighbors?

Trying to sort out any apples and oranges here......

Shari

Exterior chimney's can be frustrating I know cause I have one. Warm weather like today is the worst, unlike a center chimney an external chimney is cold and tends to have a reverse draft until you warm it up. Opening something as suggested until your starter fire gets roaring and reverses the draft is usually needed. The elbows are probably not helping the situation by slowing the heating of the flue tile. And yes this is typical and will be a learning experience you wont forget.

Hit us with a picture of this fireplace. I cannot envision any fireplace that could handle much less need two 90 degree elbows on a insert install.

I dont under stand why they had to put ant type of 90s on a flex liner. That why they call them A flex liner that way you can shape them to what you need .Now when I installed my Napoleon 1402p with a flex I had to shape the flex around the fire box It was a groan and I dont do it every day but I got It to work.
Good luck with that get stove you got I hope you and your family says warm for years to come
NAPOLEONS ROCK

No, the equations aren't exactly the same, while we have the same stove, his chimney is in the center and didn't need the elbows because his firebox was much more shallow.

My firebox is about 30" deep. When we took the fireplace screen out it looked like a freestanding woodstove could have fit in there no problem. It looks like it was built for a stove, the top had barely any angle to it. The top opening of the insert didn't sit back very far in the stove, they were going to have some special piece made up or have to cut out part of the firebox to make it work.

Anyway, I've got the fire going now for a little while and starting to get the paint smell.

Thanks all for your input, I was starting to really worry.

Check with the installers and make sure that they used stainless steel elbows and not just a couple of black pipe adjustable elbows that they had in stock.

Next time you are ready to light the fire, open your door and put your hand inside the stove. See if you feel cold air coming down the chimney. An exterior chimney can easily be colder than your house, and in such a case, your house has better draft than the chimney does. Back draft coming down the chimney can be strong enough to push smoke out of the stove into the room, even with a fresh fire in there and the door closed. I know, I struggle with this problem with my installation. Once you finally get the cold air pushed out of the chimney, then it will work fine, that is if back draft is your issue.

Thanks guys, I think it must be a back draft issue. I'm sure I'll get more acquainted this issue as the winter goes on. btw, they were stainless steel, I saw them.

Again, thanks a lot for all the info.

Happy burning.

Some people use a heat gun, I use a propane torch, to warm the chimney and start a draft. Try that, then stack a large amount of kindling, light with torch. Don't use newspaper, then when the fire starts to rip, add small splits. After a coal bed is established add bigger splits. Double check to make sure your wood is real dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.