Newmac 130/170 in a wood shop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnxtreme

Jan 22, 2007
Getting ready to install a Newmac 130/170 wood/coal/oil/gas multi fuel forced hot air furnace in a wood shop. It will be installed in a separate indoor utility room with concrete block walls on 2 sides, and double sheetrock on ceiling and 2 other walls. Was wondering if I should mount it elevated around 18" from floor as some have told me I should in case of paint/ solvent fumes etc. which usually stay pretty close to the floor. Also would like to install a fresh air vent in the wall, will it help or hinder, and if so should it be directly vented to the furnace or can I just set up maybe 12"x12" louvered vent in the wall.?

I don't think the 18" lift will make that much of a difference...a fresh air vent in the furnace room on an exterior wall would probably be a good idea...I would not be looking to take fresh air from the shop...I would be looking for fresh air from the outside...As far as your concerns regarding fumes etc....I am sure you have a seperate spray booth, and supplies should be kept in a separate area as closed off and ventilated as your furnace room...my 2cents...Since no one else answered....One more thought, if 18" is going to save the day things are not set up correctly...

Ya my fresh air is definetely coming from the outside wall, as I don't want to pull any solvents or sawdust into the boiler room. The 18" idea came from researching seemed a lot of people were saying solvents etc. fumes stay low to the ground so elevating the burner would help with that, but I'm thinking the outside air should negate that effect ? As now there should be no reverse airflow to the burner as it should'nt take in any shop air, only outside.

Keep in mind any recommended clearances to combustibles on the duct work. I know I definitely did not have any extra head room when I installed my Yukon, I was scrapping for every fraction of an inch, but if this is a commercial building, head room may not be an issue. Also, possibly consider a small fan blowing outside air into the furnace room to keep positive pressure on the room. No way your getting fumes from the shop then. Plenty of outside air is gonna be especially important if your are going to install a barometric draft regulator, which a lot a wood furnaces call for one. My 2 cents...

Ya my fresh air is definetely coming from the outside wall, as I don't want to pull any solvents or sawdust into the boiler room. The 18" idea came from researching seemed a lot of people were saying solvents etc. fumes stay low to the ground so elevating the burner would help with that, but I'm thinking the outside air should negate that effect ? As now there should be no reverse airflow to the burner as it should'nt take in any shop air, only outside.

Yea if you can get two exterior vents in, one high, one low, seal off the boiler room from the workplace, exterior door weather stripping on door....just check specs to find out how much fresh air is required for proper operation and size vents accordingly....I am no expert on Heating specifically but I do have a wood shop and I do heat with wood, and like many people here have been designing and building stuff for many years....

How did the install go? Any problems, pictures available?

Status
Not open for further replies.