newmac furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

old dave

Nov 25, 2009
eastern ontario
I recently replaced my newmac wood / oil combo with a propane furnace because the oil end of things was finished. I did save the firebox and was wondering if anyone knows if I can legaly and safely use it as a heat source. It will be used in an unfinished basement with the origional chimmney.

I believe the can't share the same chimeney, but I assume you installed a direct vent and have the old unit still inplace. Maybe some of the pros will chime in on this, but I can't see an issue with it as it would be more like an add on unit to the propane. You may need some controls to get the thing to work well together.

Not quite sure I follow you, probably because I'm not that familiar with the unit you started with... However I would say the question is going to revolve around just what you have left when you said you "saved the firebox."

My first guess is that if you just pulled out the oil burner and put a blockoff in it's place, you'd probably be fine. OTOH, if you have stripped off most of the sheet metal and insulation, I'd suspect that you'd be a lot more
questionable...

What do you mean by using it as a heat source? Are you looking to use it as an add-in to the new furnace so that you have it feeding into the ductwork? Or are you talking more on the order of using it like a wood stove to warm up your basement?

Perhaps if you could post some before and after photos to show what you had, and what was left afterwards?

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.